starter plc kit

martin155

Hello martin155,

I own PLCCable.com so I think mine is better :)

But... either would be fine, mine is a 1214C with analog, they are selling a 1212C and no analog but they are including a HMI, both are great and I am sure you will be happy with either... that said I am out of stock as I am waiting on the new software (later this week) they are shipping me TIA V14, odds are they will be shipping you V13

I think, if I were you I would by that one but only if they send you V14, you can simulate analog on the HMI so by getting that one you would be better off

But I am glad you ask about our products, I will start looking into offering the HMI with our kit

Best regards
Mark

Without looking at pricing, I would also recommend thinking about buying an Allen-Bradley 1769-L16ER-BB1B and a small PanelView Plus 7 Standard. You will need Studio 5000 for the PLC and FactoryTalk View Studio ME for the HMI. You could use a PanelView component instead, which uses the (free) CCW software for programming, and save yourself some money that way, or one of the new 5500 series panelviews, which is programmed within Studio 5000. Any of those would be valid options.

But of course, it depends on whether you want to learn Siemens or Allen-Bradley. Both very good brands, but very different to one another. I'd try and do some research into which brand is more common/popular in the area you want to work in, and base your decision around that. If you learn on Siemens it's not all that easy to switch to AB, and the same with the reverse.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I think for the most of Europe a fundamental knowledge of Siemens programming is the way to go. Here in Germany vocational education is bound pretty tightly to step 7, and now TIA. Occasionally they will drop in a few words about Codesys, but at least my trainers where not aware of something like RSLogix, the faces they made when I told them that the IO cycle can be asynchron to the PLCs program cycle and that you can easily setup even more than one task was quite amusing. Working with Step 7 taught me that RSLogix is worth every buck...

That being said, go for something from Siemens or a Codesys platform of your favor. I think the least expensive way to go would be a Wago Starter Kit, it doesn't have much in terms of IO expansion but it comes with a web based visualization. If you need more IO you can expand it for a reasonable price.

OK and if I wanted to save some money and go with Siemens, is the KTP400 good enough (vs KTP 600) or would be better to start right away with KTP 600, thank you for your help.

Yes that is what I am looking at offering... for learning the KTP400 is perfect, you can learn the process but save money, my understanding is the size is the only difference.

The analog kit we offer with the 400 would be a perfect complete kit

From the technical specifications the KTP400 has just a smaller, monochrome display.
The limitations from the WinCC license apply to both, the KTP400 & KTP600. You should be fine with 128 tags on a 4" display though.

See Chapter 8.8 & 8.9 for comparision:
https://www.automatyka.siemens.pl/docs/docs_ia/HMI_KTP400_KTP600_KTP1000_TP1500.pdf

I'd like to think that size doesn't matter (stop giggling, please), prioritize on components that add functional value, digital and analog In/Outputs, maybe the ability to add more IO if needed.

@geniusintraining:
Do you plan on adding some safety plc related trainers, like a compact guard logix or a Pilz PNOZ Multi?

From the technical specifications the KTP400 has just a smaller, monochrome display.
The limitations from the WinCC license apply to both, the KTP400 & KTP600. You should be fine with 128 tags on a 4" display though.

I was thinking of offering the color 4" not the monochrome (6AV6647-0AK11-3AX0) ... I dont think its much more and looks a lot better, also the user should be able to use TIA Portal for programming the HMI correct ? I have not programmed a Siemens HMI but I thought that was the point of TIA software, one software to do all

@geniusintraining:
Do you plan on adding some safety plc related trainers, like a compact guard logix or a Pilz PNOZ Multi?

I have not had anyone ask about them but will look into it, thank you for the suggestion

I'd like to think that size doesn't matter

Thats what I keep telling my wife :)

Yes that is what I am looking at offering... for learning the KTP400 is perfect, you can learn the process but save money, my understanding is the size is the only difference.

The analog kit we offer with the 400 would be a perfect complete kit

Yeah analog with the 400 and V14 would be the perfect package :). I would be really interested in that. Do you think you will have this combo in your offer soon :)

2geniusintraining: If I'd buy 1214C with analog and V14 software in starter kit from you and then separately KPT400 is it possible to start using HMI panel right away without some changes? Probably silly question but could there be some problems with connectivity?

I dont see it being a issue, you would just setup the HMI and PLC on the same network as your PC anyway