CompactLogix L33ER

shazad5444

Lifetime Supporting Member
Friends have following questions.

1. Our PLC controller is compactlogix L33ER with SD card. Firmware Rev. RSLogix 5000 20.3. Right now we don't have RS Logix 5000 Rev.20.3, Please let me know can I download updated program with Logix Designer Rev.28, As I have seen Logix Designer 28 is supporting L33ER?

2. In my absence my colleagues got updated program for L33ER, so they copied this program on SD card by thinking controller will update with updated program, Is it right way, can we update logic by this way?

3. What is the purpose of SD card in L33ER and how to create backup on it, is it with control flash?

1. Our PLC controller is compactlogix L33ER with SD card. Firmware Rev. RSLogix 5000 20.3. Right now we don't have RS Logix 5000 Rev.20.3, Please let me know can I download updated program with Logix Designer Rev.28, As I have seen Logix Designer 28 is supporting L33ER?
First you'll have to upgrade the firmware in the controller. Check the compatibility of the firmware in RA site.

2. In my absence my colleagues got updated program for L33ER, so they copied this program on SD card by thinking controller will update with updated program, Is it right way, can we update logic by this way?

3. What is the purpose of SD card in L33ER and how to create backup on it, is it with control flash?
You can backup and restore the application when the SD card is plugged into the controller. Also you can upgrade the firmware of a new controller. The procedures are well described in the manual.

Download and read the manual Logix 5000 Controllers Nonvolatile Memory Card.

Err...hmm...

Read technote 565204 very carefully as 20.3 introduces security features and in general is a big cluster (it's not compatible with any other version 20 logix 5000 on the same machine). So depending on what you need to do, if you install 20.03 to get online with this machine, it WILL give you issues when you open non v20.03 programs or try to get online with non v20.03 machines. You could inadvertently cause yourself problems supporting other equipment.

So, depending on what you actually do you might want to use caution. Probably call your local AB rep for some guidance.

If you simply flash it completely then download a new v28 program, all is probably moot, but do some homework.

Thanks Paully's 50. I found the solution of all of my above questions. Posting here may it will be helpful for someone.

A. Yes, we can download firmware in controller L33 ER if it opens in Logix Designer5000. Logix Designer supporting all compact logix controller.

A. No this is wrong way and it can be corrupt your PLC. This SD card is only for backup and it is configured from controller when you are online with with controller. Procedure can be found in manual1756-pm017 Logix5000 Controller Non-Volatile Memory[/B]

A. Explained above in section 2.

This thread is closed.

Err...hmm...

Read technote 565204 very carefully as 20.3 introduces security features and in general is a big cluster (it's not compatible with any other version 20 logix 5000 on the same machine). So depending on what you need to do, if you install 20.03 to get online with this machine, it WILL give you issues when you open non v20.03 programs or try to get online with non v20.03 machines. You could inadvertently cause yourself problems supporting other equipment.

So, depending on what you actually do you might want to use caution. Probably call your local AB rep for some guidance.

If you simply flash it completely then download a new v28 program, all is probably moot, but do some homework.
They finally released a fix for this problem as v20.04, this version will go online with 20.01 and 20.03 releases. Customer pushback on incompatible minor revs must have been INTENSE