Virtual Machines and Windoze License

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
All of a sudden on a Win 7 VM, I'm getting "Hardware changed, need to reactivate Windows". I've used the command line to extend the timeout for another 30 days (I think I can do that for up to 120), but short of buying a windows 7 license, is there a workaround? I was using the Win7 Product ID from my now deceased Dell Win 7 machine, so I have a license technically, but it doesn't seem to like it anymore. The only "Hardware" change is I periodically use multiple monitors (up to 3) from my new Dell precision Win 10 machine.

I never shut my Virtual Windows systems down, I always 'Save the machine state', then it seems to allow Windows to go on without problems. I also get the system up to date and then switch off automatic updates so that it doesn't sneak in a quick restart itself.

Regarding that license you had for your deceased Dell laptop, if it is the license that came with the laptop it is most likely an OEM license and is non-transferable. So technically, you might not have a proper license.

Is there a reason why you don't go through the activation process? I have had times where the activation would fail and I would call the number and get my activation done over the phone without having to talk to a live person.

Oh and, I shut my VMs down all the time. Never had issues with shutting it down or starting them back up. Sometimes I will suspend them but usually I don't.

OG

Regarding that license you had for your deceased Dell laptop, if it is the license that came with the laptop it is most likely an OEM license and is non-transferable. So technically, you might not have a proper license.

Is there a reason why you don't go through the activation process? I have had times where the activation would fail and I would call the number and get my activation done over the phone without having to talk to a live person.

Oh and, I shut my VMs down all the time. Never had issues with shutting it down or starting them back up. Sometimes I will suspend them but usually I don't.

OG

Well, at the time I was at a customer's site with no internet, so the online activation wasn't an option....I'm not familiar with the phone option. I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT: And yes, the license that came with the laptop.

Unless you bought a licensed copy of windows separate from the Dell Win 7 machine that you put on the Dell, you probably have a license that you are not technically allowed to use on another machine. If you are using a disk that came with the computer to install Win 7, it may to set up to only work with the Dell computers, and will not work with a VM.