Rockwell 1756-L75 compatibility with older IO Modules

jawad rasool

Hello and Good Day All,

We are planning to upgrade controller (from L55 to L75) for a Redundant ControlLogix based system. Following is a brief description of the system architecture;

i) Two 7-Slot Chassis which include;
------- Slot 1 - CNB Module
------- Slot 2 - 1756-L55
------- Slot 3&4 - SRM Module
------- Slot 5 - ENBT Module
------- Slot 6&7 - N2 Filler Module

ii) Two Remote IO Racks: Each Rack has one CNB Module following IO Modules
------- IB32
------- OB32
------- IF16
------- OF4
------- HSC
------- IR6

Please share your valuable suggestions on below points;

i) Either we need to replace the old IO Modules with latest ones or the old IO Modules will work fine with L75 and there will be no compatibility issue both in H/W and firmware.

ii) Will the old CNB module will work with L75 or there is any firmware upgradation is required.

iii) Previously SRM Modules are used for redundancy, what would be the better either to stick with SRM or upgrade to RM2 modules.

Looking forward a cooperation from you guys.

i) Either we need to replace the old IO Modules with latest ones or the old IO Modules will work fine with L75 and there will be no compatibility issue both in H/W and firmware.
You need to provide the actual firmware of each module and the version to be used in the new controller. RA always suggests to update firmware to solve any known bug.

ii) Will the old CNB module will work with L75 or there is any firmware upgradation is required.
Please provide the CNB series (CNB/A, CNB/B, CNB/D...)

iii) Previously SRM Modules are used for redundancy, what would be the better either to stick with SRM or upgrade to RM2 modules.
SRM is not compatible with L75. If you plan to use version 24 or newer, you have to use RM2.

You can go to Compatibility & Downloads section on RA website and use the Compare Products link to verify your hardware.