Text Block

asterof

SO I have strings in the PLC
But the text block does not seem to read the string
just the numeric value of the string
How do I actually read the string into a datalink

I have no idea how to answer your question, but I know if you provide some more information you will be more likely to get a response. For instance, what brand of PLC are you using? What software version are you using? do you have any more detail on the datalink you are using?

Good luck,
Will.

SO I have strings in the PLC
But the text block does not seem to read the string
just the numeric value of the string
How do I actually read the string into a datalink

So Controllogix altho it could be a PLC 5 simply because a string
tag is a string tag.
An ifix datalink is an ifix datalink
Software is iFix version is ill-relivent
but it is 5.8

As I was searching for Proficy iFIX 5.8 help I came across your post...not sure if you have resolved this as of yet but here is what worked for me...

In IGS using the AB Suite for Logix controllers:

-Data Type = String
-Client Access = Read Only (or Read/Write)
-Scan Rate = 500 (whatever scan rate you need)
-Tag Format = Channel.Devicename.TAGNAME.DATA/50 (where 50 is the length of the Logix STRING tag...match to your STRING length)

In iFIX PDB:

-When the Block (tag) is added it needs to be a "TX" (text) type
-Set the max length to match the IGS driver configuration (50 in this case)

In Picture:

-Add DataLink to Picture
-Format = PDBTagName.A_CV
-Assign Chars/Line as 50 to match everything else

I am new to iFIX so there may be better ways to apply this but this method worked for me...hope it helps.