Cheap pulse flow meter

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

On the hunt for a cheap pulse flow meter for a home automation project. Just needs to be 24VDC, somewhere around 20mm size, and somewhere in the range of 10 pulses per litre. It's just measuring water, nothing really unusual about the application.

Anyone got any hot tips?

I dunno what 'cheap' means but, lots of residential water softeners now have flow sensors to trigger a regeneration cycle based on gallons used. Something like that might work.

Those flow meters are made by Savant in Taiwan. I suspect futurlec has to order them and wait for the boat to arrive. Might be worth the gamble at those prices.

Those flow meters are made by Savant in Taiwan. I suspect futurlec has to order them and wait for the boat to arrive. Might be worth the gamble at those prices.

My first order from Futurlec came in without a hitch, the second one took like 3 - 6 months, I haven't been back since.

The secret is to never order anything that doesn't show up as "In Stock", since they will hold your order until those parts arrive.

Thanks guys. Accuracy isn't a huge factor, even if it's only +/- 20% it will do the job I need it for.

All of the links look good as far as price and size etc, but it looks like most of them are around 250 pulses per litre, which might be a little fast. It's just going to be wired into a standard digital input on a Click Koyo, so ideally I'm after more in the realm of 10-100 pulses per litre (or about 40-400 pulses per gallon, for the 'mericans ;) ). Any tips?

1) Go with a higher LPM meter than you strictly need (but not too high). Since it's going to go "slower" you won't be as likely to overrun your input.

2) Run you input into a divide by "x" circuit (I've used them expressly for this purpose). I wouldn't buy one, that flies in the face of cheap! And it's an easy enough circuit to make. But when I worked for Schneider, money was no object. Plus they wouldn't allow me to include my homebrew in the final products (short-sighted of them in my opinion).

Last edited: