Want to connect Micrologix 1400 directly to PC via ethernet

No switch/router. Just a direct connection. I did this successfully a few month ago, but I can't seem to remember how I did it.

The steps I took was was go to channel configuration -> Channel 1 -> disable boottp enable > enter unique ip address (192.168.1.136), -> enter mask 255.255.255.0. Then go to rslinks -> add new ethernet device > enter 192.168.1.136. Whois shows an unrecognized device. I get a "no response from processor at selected path/node" when I try downloading a program.

I also tried to manually give the 1400 an ip address using the LCDscreen on it, but pinging the IP address doesn't work.

Does it matter than I'm using a patch cable instead of a crossover cable for this? The manual says it doesn't matter because the plc has something called "auto-crossover," but I'm not sure. (I used a different cable when I first got it to work a while back. The cable I'm using now is brand new)