Quick Design Question....

JoseM

If I know that a friction wheel that pushes a carrier on a conveyor has a velocity of 58 M/Min. How can I tell what the frequency on the VFD needs to be to deliver a 58 Seconds cycle time.

I want to understand what is the mathematics behind determining this information which I will have to program on a PLC.

Last edited:
More information required. Is that 58M/Min at 60Hz? And when you say "58 second cycle time", what needs to happen in that 58 seconds?

I hope this clarifies some questions. The drive is directly attached to the wheel and OEM gave us info on the attached image. This is a moving conveyor where certain task needs to be performed as it moves through the process. This area needs to be able to adjust conveyor speed base on the "Takt Time" given to complete the task.

Drive 2.PNG Drive.PNG

How much distance is the conveyor supposed to travel during the 58 second time? The circumference of the drive wheel is PI times its diameter. Assuming no slippage, the carrier moves an amount equal to the circumference for each rotation of the wheel.

It has to travel about 7400 mm. That is the pitch distance before it reaches the next set of friction drives which continue pushing the carrier forward.

Last edited:
PI times the diameter of the drive wheel gives you meters per revolution. That is how much the carrier moves for each complete turn of the drive wheel.
Meters per revolution times revolutions per minute gives you meters per minute. That's how far the carrier moves in one minute.
Meters per minute divided by 60 gives you meters per second.
Meters per second times 58 gives you the distance traveled in 58 seconds. Per your last post, that number is supposed to be 7.4 meters.
In summary:
(PI x Diameter x 58 / 60) x RPM = 7.4

Thank you Steve. What hertz should my VFD needs to sent to the motor that drive these two friction wheels, so it moves the carrier 7.4 meters in 58 Seconds.

I need to be able to change the seconds and the VFD hertz needs to adjust to travel the 7.4 meters.

Last edited:
The relationship between the motor frequency and speed is linear. Zero Hertz corresponds to zero RPM. 60 Hertz corresponds to nameplate speed of the motor, assuming the VFD is configured correctly.

The following is probably going to sound harsh to some people. There will be those who say that everybody has to start somewhere, that there is no such thing as a dumb question, yada, yada, yada... I'm going to say it anyway.

Although disturbing, it isn't all that unusual for the people programming PLCs to lack the background in physics or mechanics to be able to do simple calculations such as you requested in your initial post. Sometimes it's because the people doing the programming have a background in electricity or electronics or computers rather than in mechanical systems.
Unfortunately, you also seem to lack a basic understanding of how VFDs control AC motor speed. This leads me to wonder what qualifications you bring to the task you've been assigned.
I strongly suggest that you spend some time learning about the devices your PLC will be controlling before you write any more PLC programs.

The relationship between the motor frequency and speed is linear. Zero Hertz corresponds to zero RPM. 60 Hertz corresponds to nameplate speed of the motor, assuming the VFD is configured correctly.

The following is probably going to sound harsh to some people. There will be those who say that everybody has to start somewhere, that there is no such thing as a dumb question, yada, yada, yada... I'm going to say it anyway.

Although disturbing, it isn't all that unusual for the people programming PLCs to lack the background in physics or mechanics to be able to do simple calculations such as you requested in your initial post. Sometimes it's because the people doing the programming have a background in electricity or electronics or computers rather than in mechanical systems.
Unfortunately, you also seem to lack a basic understanding of how VFDs control AC motor speed. This leads me to wonder what qualifications you bring to the task you've been assigned.
I strongly suggest that you spend some time learning about the devices your PLC will be controlling before you write any more PLC programs.

While we are there. Don't schools teach geometry and algebra anymore?