logix5000 Deleting Edits Online Question

showshocka

I'm sure this is extra simple. I just forgot. How do I remove some accepted edits in logix5000 without deleting other actively accepted edits. I use to do often, it's been a while. If I can remember correctly I think I had to put the edits that I wanted to keep back into pending (small i) edits, while putting the edits that I did'nt want into (Large I) edit and then select remove edits keeping the small i edits, or something to that effect. Thank you.

I'm sure this is extra simple. I just forgot. How do I remove some accepted edits in logix5000 without deleting other actively accepted edits. I use to do often, it's been a while. If I can remember correctly I think I had to put the edits that I wanted to keep back into pending (small i) edits, while putting the edits that I did'nt want into (Large I) edit and then select remove edits keeping the small i edits, or something to that effect. Thank you.

You need to be ultra careful with online edits.

Firstly, let me make it clear what the "lower-case" and "UPPER-CASE" edit zone markers mean, totally understanding this will help with your endeavors....

Let's deal with offline editing firstly....

The ONLY rung marker you will ever see is "e", and that could stand for "entering", "editing", or "error". In any of those scenarios, the rung is invalid, and can't be accepted.

In post-V16 versions of the software, the "e" marker will disappear as soon as the rung is "valid" (syntactically - doesn't mean the code is correct, that's down to you). The software is automatically verifying the rung for you - even if "Automatic Rung Verification" is unchecked in the software setup - I think they just forgot to remove it.

I any case, any offline edits will require a download of the whole application, shutting down whatever it is controlling, and over-writing any current tag values (unless you use the "Data Preserved Download" tool, something I personally have never even attempted).

Now let us investigate online editing....

Firstly, and most importantly, YOU CANNOT PUT INVALID CODE INTO THE CONTROLLER, I will explain why if you digest the following...

To perform online edits (you need to be online obviously), you must do the edits "offline", and then send them to the controller, this is where the lower/upper-case markers come into play.

1. Adding a new rung

Inserting a new rung will immediately mark it with "e", because it is invalid, there's no output instruction(s). Adding suitable instructions will change the "e" to an "i", which means the rung can be "inserted" into the controller code.

2. Modifying an existing rung

To do this you will need to select the rung you want to modify, and unbelievably there's many ways to do this, but the simplest (and undocumented!!) is to double-click the rung.

The software will then show you the rung to be modified with an "i" marker. It is valid, and "insertable", as it is a copy of the rung already in the controller. The software also shows you the rung that will be replaced by the modified rung, marked with "r". You make changes to the "i" rung, which will be marked "e" if it isn't valid (it changes back to "i" automatically if valid).

3. Deleting a rung

Hitting "Delete" on a rung puts a "d" marker on it. (NB. Early software revisions sent this directly to the controller, "D" marker - that was wrong, and has been corrected.)

Up to now - absolutely NONE of the above has been "seen" by the controller, if you pack up and walk away, or get disconnected for any reason, the controller will not have been changed in any way whatsoever!!!!

Up to now, all rung edit markers are lower-case, meaning they are in your PC waiting to be "sent" to the controller. Sending the edits (and they all have to be "i" or "d" to be "valid") is the operation Rockwell call "Accept Edits". There is no partial accept, every edit has to verify for any to be downloaded.

Part 2 to follow... you now have "edits" in the controller..

Part 2 - Online editing

... following on from my previous post, you have now "Accepted Edits" - that means you have edits residing in the controller, not on your PC....

That statement alone can ring alarm bells, because someone else could also be putting edits into the controller program, and yours or their subsequent actions could be dangerous !! I will discuss ways to administer this later.

Your edits, those that were marked "i", "r", or "d" are now in the controller, and the rung markers will be "I", "R", or "D" respectively. Rungs with Upper-case rung markers EXIST IN THE CONTROLLER PROGRAM !!!

Power-rail highlighting will show you that "R" and "D" marked rungs are still executing, whilst "I" rungs are not.

You now have the opportunity to "test" the changes you made by switching to "Test Edits" mode, "I" rungs become an active part of the controller program, and "R" and "D" rungs are not scanned. You will be prompted to confirm this, as you will be affecting the running program.

If all is good, then it is a good time to finish the editing session by "Assembling Edits", which leaves the new code in place, and deletes any old code that isn't being scanned.

If you were not happy with the modified code, then you can "Untest Edits", which puts you back where you were, the edits you had in place will still be there, but are now not executing (look at the power-rail on the ladder screen).

Now you can "edit your edits", meaning you can edit (double-click) an "I" rung. You will now get a display of 3 rungs of the same rung, an "i", an "r", and an "R". Remember that lower-case marked rungs don't exist in the controller, the markings simply mean that the "i" rung will replace the controller's "I" rung when you accept edits.

Note that it is not possible to "un-delete" a rung you already marked for deletion if you ultimately want to keep it. If this was your only change, you would simply "Cancel Edits" and leave the rung as it was.

If the rung marked for deletion is part of a group of edits you can't split, and you need to keep it, then you can "re-insert" the rung marked for deletion by copy/paste to a new rung, leaving the old rung still to be deleted.

It is important that you cannot accept, test, untest, cancel, or assemble just some edits, it's all or nothing....

Part 3 will deal with policing multiple online connections that could edit the program, tomorrow - it's late here

Thank you for the info. What I found out by Playing around with Emulator is that once I have two rungs or multiple rungs in Edit - Big "I, R". For those rungs that I want to keep without wanting to add to the program is that I have to put ALL the rungs that "I want to keep testing" back into Small case "i, r", keeping the pending edits Big in "I,R" that I want to add to the program. Then I Add those pending (Big "I. R') Rungs to Program, which does not affect the small "i,r". Then once I add the pending Rungs to the Program, make the same other small "i,r" edits Back Big again, then continue to test them by hitting Test Edits and then save my Program to the Processor. Hope you all understood that. Thanks.

Thank you for the info. What I found out by Playing around with Emulator is that once I have two rungs or multiple rungs in Edit - Big "I, R". For those rungs that I want to keep without wanting to add to the program is that I have to put ALL the rungs that "I want to keep testing" back into Small case "i, r", keeping the pending edits Big in "I,R" that I want to add to the program. Then I Add those pending (Big "I. R') Rungs to Program, which does not affect the small "i,r". Then once I add the pending Rungs to the Program, make the same other small "i,r" edits Back Big again, then continue to test them by hitting Test Edits and then save my Program to the Processor. Hope you all understood that. Thanks.

I understand what you are saying, but must repeat what I put in my last post - It is important that you cannot accept, test, untest, cancel, or assemble just some edits, it's all or nothing....

It might appear as though you are "holding back" a rung edit by starting to edit it again, but remember from part 1 it was stated that "...rungs with lower-case i,r, & d markers are not (yet) in the controller, the edit is in the programming PC...".

Whether you "Start Rung Edits", on a rung you want to edit again, before or after you "Assemble" or "Finalise" the edits in the PLC, from the PLC's perspective is the same. The rung in question will be accepted as part of the running program.