RSView Studio ME.........XP Issue??

Kidblue

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, don't know if anyone can clarify this. I've already got RSView Studio up and running on one of my office desktops (XP Pro), without issues. We recently replaced one of our older PC's with a new Dell desktop (pre-loaded with XP Home). When i try to install the Studio software i get an error message when loading the Factory Talk module that it isn't supported by XP Home Edition.......I've looked on the AB knowledgebase and there doesn't seem to be an official note about it (only notes about XP SP2).

Trying to find whether it's a quirk of my pc, or XP Home really doesn't support Rockwell Factory Talk (not impressed if it doesn't!!!) :(

Thank you.

XP Home is useless for lots and lots of software that depends on networking. Upgrade it to XP Pro.

XP Home doesn't provide the full network Server services, nor does it support domains, or even that many peer to peer connections.

RSView SE is built entirely on a server framework, even if using it stand-alone.

It seems a stupid thing by Microsoft really, they should have just had XP period. The home version is crippled in a lot of ways, and is actually far less stable than XP Pro.

KidBlue,

Also check to make sure you are not running SP2 for XP. RSView will NOT run on SP2. I found this out just last week. If you are running SP2 you will need to uninstall it before RSview will run.

I've talked with Rockwell and they told me a patch will be ready later in October.

Tim R

OK, that's a double whammy then!! :p I'm running SP2 and Home edition :(

Sounds mighty picky software to me; NOT compatible with Windows 98
NOT compatible with Windows XP Home
NOT compatible with Windows XP SP2!!!!

Do ya think they do a DOS version? :rolleyes: :D

Kidblue said:

I believe you also need .net framework.

Rick Densing said:
I believe you also need .net framework.
And you need IIS installed if you plan to run a distributed application.

WindowsXP professional can handle acting as a client and/or server machine for FactoryTalk.

AK

Kidblue said:

It's not really picky software, it just relies on having a fully-functional, solid networking operating system to work through. This is going to happen more and more as publishers try to keep up with Microsofts latest ideas of interoperability.

Now that many publishers are writing to the Microsoft .net framework, they are getting tied closer and closer to Microsoft. When MS hiccups, expect applications programs to fall like dominos :(.

The SP2 issues with WinXP have to do with Microsoft (for once) seriously trying to lock-down security holes in the operating system. Of course, this changed the way many standard Windows API function calls are made, especially when dealing with network applications. They have also made .net 1.0 partially incompatible with .net 1.1 (and above) for the same reason.

In almost every single case, if you are deploying HMI software, and even for general purpose computers, it is an extremely good idea to turn Windows 'Automatic Updating' (choke) 'Feature' off. Isolate systems from internet access, lock out removable drives, disconnect the internal cables to external USB ports if you have to to secure the systems. Then, apply patches judiciously, and only when you ascertain that they are actually required.

Having something work fine on Friday, and be locked up on Monday because automatic updates have been applied over the weekend is NOT A FUN THING. Especially if it happens on a distributed application with 4 or 5 servers and 20 to 30 client nodes.

---- SOAPBOX WARNING.. Stop reading now to avoid my diatribe :)

What would be a true blessing, would be for software publishers to write complete, self-sufficient applications that can run on an open-source network OS (cough.. linux). Unfortunately, the costs would skyrocket, as so much would have to be 'rolled from scratch', as opposed to using core-level code (and, indeed, much higher level code) pre-written by Microsoft.

Windows Lineup:

WinME and below are not network operating systems at all. They have limited file-sharing capabilities, but that's about it. All discontinued and unsupported

Windows NT 4 Workstation/Server are full network operating systems, major difference being Workstation cannot host a domain, and cannot maintain more than I think 10 peer to peer connections. They also don't handle hardware very well at all, and only support DirectX up to version 3 or 4. Discontinued and unsupported.

Windows 2000 Professional/Server are full NOS's, again, being that the desktop-based professional cannot host a domain or active directory, and have limited peer to peer connectivity. Professional cannot run SQL Server (except desktop edition, 5 connections maximum). Almost all hardware and DirectX up to at least Version 9.x are supported. Windows 2000 was discontinued as of April, 2004.

Windows XP Home/Professional. Just about two completely different operating systems. Home is a severly stripped down version of Professional, and was intended to be a cash cow to get people off of ME. Neither Version of XP is a server level OS though. Both do have excellent Hardware and DirectX support, and require that IE 6 or better be installed. Still supported.

Windows 2003 Server is the replacement server platform for 2000, and can host domains and active directory, as well as full SQL servers. Still supported.

rdrast said:
Unfortunately, the costs would skyrocket, as so much would have to be 'rolled from scratch', as opposed to using core-level code (and, indeed, much higher level code) pre-written by Microsoft.

RS-OS???
How much do you suppose that would cost? And, what version would you have to wait for to get mouse drivers?

akreel said:

RS-OS???
How much do you suppose that would cost? And, what version would you have to wait for to get mouse drivers?

(laugh). The mouse drivers would be free. The mouse of course, would be $3500.

Actually, wasn't talking about RS making the OS, just about RS making an application program that runs on a nice, stable operating system. There is no reason an RSView SE distributed application cannot run on a linux box for the server (and client), except that then RS would have to actually create the network coding, and functionality that is currently provided by Microsofts IIS, .Net, IE, and User Interface functionality.

RSView Studio Machine Edition will not install on WindowsXP Home Edition.

I dont see it spelled out on the knowledgebase, but I know it will not work.

Also be aware that an upgrade from Home to Pro / 2k to XP are also non-supported platforms.