Fanuc robot 6 point toolframe setting method

unsaint32

What is the benefit of the 6 point toolframe setting method as opposed to the 3 point method. I understand that when I use the 6 point method I can set the X Y Z planes for the toolframe as I want rather than being stuck with the default tool frame planes (+Z moving toward the object). Is it simply for easier jogging on planes of an object? But I can use a Jog frame for that.

Can somebody give me an example of why the 6 point method is ever necessary? thanks.

Orientation of the tool. Imagine a flat blade screwdriver bit, you can define the orientation of the blade.

Here is what im thinking.... As long as TCP is set using the 3 point toolframe method, i can use world frame minor axis to place the tool in a certain angle. Then jog to teaching points using the world major axis.

I'm sure my method described above is not convenient for some tools. I'm trying to learn what that might be. Thanks.

To expand on my reply, it is very useful when a tool changer is mounted to the end of arm. To be able to to have more information than just X,Y,Z for each tool enhances programming. If a tool is changed, I only have to redefine the TCP location and orientation to work with code already developed.

To expand on my reply, it is very useful when a tool changer is mounted to the end of arm. To be able to to have more information than just X,Y,Z for each tool enhances programming. If a tool is changed, I only have to redefine the TCP location and orientation to work with code already developed.
As a robot novice who had just learned how to teach points on the pendant (with very simple programs)at a school, I just couldn't understand the need for defining the planes of the tool. After spending more time on the robot, I can at least imagine now that more precise and complex movements can be accomplished through varying data that reference the tool planes. Thank you.

Quick example

I know your post is old, and I was just perusing and came across it... One very handy, real use for the six-point TCP method is teaching a robot EOAT that is a Wirefeed Welding tip, like a FANUC ArcMate. The wire gun isn't square to the robot, it's set as an angle. Teaching the TCP with 6-point method will, after properly done, allow you to apply tool offsets in the +/- Z tool directions to move the gun straight into/out of a weld path without changing orientation. Just in and out. Automotive robots use this all of the time, with giant spot welders set at weird angles, wire feed welders, and laser welding heads on the robots. It makes tweaking things on the fly WAY easier than trying to figure out "for every 1.0mm in X I move, I have to also move 12.5º in R".