Micro 820 through Ethernet?

asteroide

Hello Friends

I need to send/receive some bits and integers between 10 Micro820 PLCs.

Also, I need to synchronize the real time clock in all of them.

I have done a similar project in the past with 4 Micrologix 1100 and it worked excellent.

Now, I need to reduce cost, so I am thinking in Micro820.

What do you think?

Any comment would be appreciated.:nodi:

Thanks in advance.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/2080-qs002_-en-e.pdf

This quick start instructions illustrate how you can use the CIP Generic and CIP dymbolic Client Messaging functions on Micro830 and Micro850 controllers. It includes two sample projects that provide step-by-step instructions on how to program using the CIP messaging function blocks and assign values to the parameters to make a simple query/command from a Micro850 Controller A to a Micro850 Controller B using both messaging features.

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

I can’t comment on how to achieve your goal but what I can tell you is that if you haven’t worked with CCW (the programming software for Micro PLC’s) you’re in for a challenge. The Micro PLC’s are completely different from the MicroLogix PLC’s and programming them is also completely different. There is a lot of debate here (and elsewhere) about how good the Micro PLC’s are and I personally don’t like them but I’ve got 20+ years of using RSLogix so that’s what I’m used to working with. The cost may be less expensive but the learning curve might not be worth it. Having said that, if you are familiar with the Micro PLC’s… never mind.

The cost may be less expensive but the learning curve might not be worth it. .

The bad part is with the MicroLogix been phased out someday you will have no choice but to give it a try or jump ship and go with another brand

The bad part is with the MicroLogix been phased out someday you will have no choice but to give it a try or jump ship and go with another brand

This may be true, but the CompactLogix series has quite a few little bricks that can do the job (though they aren't all that cheap) and keep you on the Logix5k software.

As far as working with Micro's, they aren't even made by the same division of Rockwell that does the other PLC's. CCW can really be kinda difficult to figure out. I just spent a few days digging in to it, but I have never had to actually write a program from scratch using it. It seems to be geared more towards computer programmers than PLC programmers in my humble opinion though.

This may be true, but the CompactLogix series has quite a few little bricks that can do the job (though they aren't all that cheap) and keep you on the Logix5k software.

Its not even in the same park... when your quoting a job and you jump from a MicroLogix to a CompactLogix your double the cost or more, I just hope they keep the 1100 and 1400 around

Sparkie, Have you tried CCW lately? a few years ago when it first came out I had to stop selling trainers with the 800 series, the support phone calls were killing me... its a lot better now and still free :)

Its not even in the same park... when your quoting a job and you jump from a MicroLogix to a CompactLogix your double the cost or more, I just hope they keep the 1100 and 1400 around

Sparkie, Have you tried CCW lately? a few years ago when it first came out I had to stop selling trainers with the 800 series, the support phone calls were killing me... its a lot better now and still free :)

Yes I just taught myself how to use it about 8 months ago. We only had a couple so I have not had to use it much, though mostly I used it to program drives.

The MicroLogix line is going to be around for a long time. A couple of models are going away but the 1100 and 1400 aren’t on the list and are much too popular for Rockwell to get rid of. I could see an (even) lower end CompactLogix replacing the 1100 and/or 1400 but I don’t believe anything like that is on the radar.

Thanks to all for your responses.

My experience is with Micrologix, SLC, Contrologix.

I am new in CCW, I know that the learning curve could be a problem.

The main reason to use Micro820 is to reduce the cost but also, I am willing to learn this new software for me.

Going to the original question: gclshortt mentioned that there is a sample manual/program to use the CIP Generic and CIP symbolic Client Messaging functions on Micro830 and Micro850 controllers.

Could I use this fo Micro820?

I need to send/receive some bits between Micro820 PLCs and synchonize the real clock time betwen 10 Micro820 PLCs.

Thanks again