HMI or NOT

ktmtragic

I have a customer that has a machine and given the age and relay logic. The relays are failing. Looks like a box full of cotton candy. My question is do i replace the control buttons with new ones when I install the PLC or should I install an HMI instead ?

It is really subjective. I'm not sure what the control buttons are, but you will most certainly want a hard-wired E-Stop button as well as a start cycle and stop cycle button. They should be able to start and stop the machine without the HMI if necessary.

Hmi

You are correct. That was why I was wondering if an HMI might be more work than necessary as the E stops etc can't be driven through the HMI.
Thanks

With an HMI you can do things that are not possible or difficult to achieve with just buttons and lamps.
Change setpoints.
See analog values.
See timer values.
Change timer setpoints.
Display alarms with detailed alarm description.
Display detailed sequence information.
And you can simplify the hardware by removing redundant buttons and lamps.
But most important, by changing from hardwired relay logic and hardwired user interface to what is essentially software, you can standardise on a control concept where you maintain and improve the software gradually over time, so that you get a much BETTER control system. And there are goodies. You can have remote diagnostics for example. And an alarm system that logs the alarms and other stuff so you can see what has been going on.
But it will cost more in the short run.

As Jesper said IMO, HMI is the way to go, all those relays and push buttons is just archaic.

Noting wrong with have the E-Stop reset from the HMI along with the start stop buttons either.

You only need the actual E-Stop as a physical button.

What are you using for a PLC? I priced up similar I/O with a colour touch HMI from the Micro 800 and PV 800 series for less than $2K. For me having a HMI on even a simple machine allows a lot more flexibility.

Ask them this question...if the HMI goes out can they wait a few days to run the machine while getting it replaced? If not then replace the buttons.

Well, all of this really depends on how many buttons they have. Say they have 12 buttons and contact blocks. This can easily be $900-1100 dollars worth of just buttons and contact blocks. If you can get an HMI in there and eliminate the majority of it, then it becomes very clear which is more cost-effective.

I'm just a fan of having some kind of manual by-pass in most situations. I have had to go back through and put too many manual by-passes in while waiting on a new HMI to not do it from the start.

Most generally though an ES, Start/Stop and perhaps cycle reset button would be all you needed as they would only be temporary until an HMI could be delivered and installed.

The only concern is if this a food grade bowl chopper then does it require a pressure-hose proof HMI or other expensive protection for the screen during the wash-down after use ? Some bowl choppers require local control for loading , raising an acoustic hood and raising the main cover as well as E-stops and start/stop .

Ask them this question...if the HMI goes out can they wait a few days to run the machine while getting it replaced? If not then replace the buttons.

For this reason, we have often used Start/Stop/Reset push buttons in conjunction with a HMI. It also helps not wear the same spot on the screen where the Run/Start button is... Especially on sites where people think a pen makes for a stylus.