sorting out registers on AB 1500

deanpavil

I am fairly new to this and I am trying to find out how this works. I have a setup using a Allen Bradley 1500 that is operating as the master. A Red Lion HMI is connected to the PLC on the RS232 port. There is another device that is communicating RS485 to the HMI. There are several 16 bit holding registers from that device that the PLC is taking in and doing some math then displaying on the HMI. The values get put in the F8 Float data table and then a multiplier is used and this new value is sent to an Integer table. That value is sent to the HMI. I can see how the values of these registers are modified in the PLC but I don't know how the original bits are selected or sorted to be placed in a particular Float register. I wish to add and or change some of these registers from the RS485 device to look at some different data. Thank you

Most likely, the Red Lion HMI is controlling communications. Download Crimson software from Red Lion's website and use it to extract the program from the HMI. Then look at the tag database to see how a memory location in the RS485 device is passed through the HMI to the PLC.