Need help with controlling proportional solenoids in a hydraulics application.

bobwd40

I am developing a control system for an existing machine that uses proportional solenoids controlled by a 0-800mA current. I would like to be able to control the solenoids directly through the IO, as the volume (in the enclosure) that I have to work with is limited. Does anyone know of an IO system that is up to the task?

Not enough information. You need to provide details so people understand what you are doing. Mind reading is a skill that is lacking here.

Effectively, the only thing I'm doing is trying to control a proportional solenoid. This particular solenoid opens a valve when current is applied, and closes it when current is removed. With this solenoid, 800mA moves the valve to the fully open position. The open percentage of the valve scales with the amount of current applied. So, to clarify, I am hoping to find an output card capable of varying current between 0-800mA, much in the same way that more standard analog output cards can deliver 0-20mA. For reference, here is a B&R output card (X20CM8323) that uses PWM outputs to generate up to a 600mA current (unfortunately not quite sufficient for my application):
https://www.br-automation.com/en-us...20-system/digital-outputs/x20cm8323/#techdata

Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately it does not... but I hadn't considered a valve driver (this is my first hydraulics application, still have a lot to learn). This is a possible solution, but I'm still curious to know whether or not there is an IO solution, as there are 22 of these solenoids to control (simplified it to one initially for the sake of clarifying the query)

Edit: whoops, yes the valves do have DIN connectors. Would be possible to use valve drivers, but still want to know about IO.

Last edited:
Not really understanding what the issue is here, the OP wants to drive a coil proportionally with the IO of a PLC? Not hard, IFM makes several PLC's with multiple PWM outputs that can source up to 1 amp with PWM.

Using output current control, coil heating and other issues can be taken care of as well. You can super-impose a dither signal on the pwm output to get good dynamic response. You get good resolution, just depends on the deadband of the valve, but you can program that in using the current control function block if needed.