$1. 5m if you can turn air into water

AustralIan

http://water.xprize.org
Any ideas?

Spec is:
Minimum 2,000L/day
100% renewable energy to run
<2cents/L CAPEX+OPEX

As a comparison, in Melbourne Australia, they made a device to turn salt water into freshwater.
150GL/yr
4billionAUD to make
1.5billion AUD/yr OPEX
So you can see this plant reaches 0.02AUD/L after 3 years of operation.

I do not know how the two problems compare

They're just describing a standard GX-8 moisture vaporator. You'll need a Prosoft module to communicate with them in Bocce binary protocol, or a C3 series protocol droid.

They're just describing a standard GX-8 moisture vaporator. You'll need a Prosoft module to communicate with them in Bocce binary protocol, or a C3 series protocol droid.

Yep. The R2 unit is a little more reliable, but more diffulcult to initialize communication with.

The last time I bought secondhand, I went through two R2's before I got one without a blown motivator unit.

And that one had a full SD card jammed into its display port ! I just formatted it, and everything's been nice and quiet on the farm since then, if you don't count the big meteor shower last week.

"Each liter of seawater contains, on average, about 13 billionths of a gram of gold."

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gold.html

So if we can setup a sluice box on the beach and let the waves do the work... have a spinning one, when the wave goes out its in one direction and rotates 180 deg and again sluices as the wave comes back in... then just sit back and let the money rollin' :p

No, you are doing it wrong.

You start a kick-starter or indigogo project to mine gold from the ocean. Collect the millions then retires to a tropical island beach to watch the wave roll in while sipping on a bottle of Corona.

The gold they are mining in the TV show is placer gold, flakes washed down from the hills into the bay by the Snake and Nome rivers. The gold in seawater is dissolved in solution, but costs thousands of times more to extract it than it is worth. Even that placer gold is borderline much of the time.

Take a large fusion thermal engine with a radiating output, mounted far enough away to minimize ionizing radiation but close enough to take advantage of thermal effects. Use that to suspend water into the air above a system collection device that is rotating away from the heat source on a periodic basis so that the water has a chance to condense and combine, then fall out of suspension. Elevate portions of the rotating collection device so that the water runs down hill into collection basins, then extract it from the collection basins.

The trick is, don't use it as a trash dump and waste so much of it flushing toilets, washing cars and watering lawns for rich people and golfers....