PLC and Windows 10 Hybrid

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I was reading up on a new compactlogix and windows 10 hyrbid PLC. I feel like one of the benefits of using a PLC and computer based system is that with a PLC it has a specific purpose it is built for. That purpose is to examine the state of various virtual and physical inputs and turn on outputs based on the state of those inputs. The purpose of the HMI is to control, analyze, record and distribute the data from the PLC.

This is similar to some stuff from beckhoff where they use automation PC's, but it kind of gives you the benefits of both worlds, however it seems that if you have to work on the "Windows 10" side of the hardware you would have to take the PLC down anyway, where you can swap out most HMI's without interfering with PLC operations.

You can also run full-blown PC based HMI's on hardware like enterprise servers and use virtualization to distribute. I'm curious to hear the take from you guys on this situation. The other benefit is that IT based system redundancy is quite effective.

Regardless, this side of automation is changing. The relationship between controllers and HMI's.