Cable to conect Laptop to S5 using IBH-Softec

edwinrg69

Hello everyone,

I get a 14 day trial version of IBH-Softec v7.
I'm trying to conect my Laptop to S5 PLC using a usb rs232 converter and PC-TTY together and I can't conect.

Anyone know is it possible to connect?

Any suggestions or what cable I have to use.

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

I get a 14 day trial version of IBH-Softec v7.
I'm trying to conect my Laptop to S5 PLC using a usb rs232 converter and PC-TTY together and I can't conect.

Anyone know is it possible to connect?

Any suggestions or what cable I have to use.

Thanks in advance

Check the current sources and directions vs this drawing.

as511_cable.jpg

As far as I know, you cannot use an RS232/TTY converter and a USB/RS232 addapter to get a working programming cable for Siemens S5.
The RS232/TTY adapter needs a real serial port.

So the adapters mentioned by Kalle are the best options.

I have used a USB to COM port converter together with the RS232 siemens cable for S5.
I think its important that the converter uses a chip from FTDI, allthough it is still very unstable.

I recommend that you use a computer with hardware COM port, which are getting harder and harder to come by.

I recommend that you use a computer with hardware COM port, which are getting harder and harder to come by.

yep
we asked for programs to use on a notebook or laptop to talk to PLC's

everyone wants notebooks for 'FUN'
so the designers remove the com ports
;)

The original Siemens S5 software running on DOS or Windows, up to and including, XP required a 16450 or 16550 UART chip but it will work happily in an XP VM with a USB Serial port.

N.B. If running S5 on a VM, only assign 1 cpu or the online monitoring will be unreliable.

Nick

As far as I know, you cannot use an RS232/TTY converter and a USB/RS232 addapter to get a working programming cable for Siemens S5.
The RS232/TTY adapter needs a real serial port.

Depends on the software.... IF you are using IBH Step5 for Windows than yes you can use a USB and TTY adapter... IF you are using Siemens Step5 then no you can not use a USB adapter

OT: A bit of history.

S5 originally ran on the CP/M operating system and was only later ported to DOS with utilities to permit reading and writing of CP/M disks. Step5 never made it as a true windows application and, as a consequence, it never learned about sharing resources.

Early third party Step5 programming software allowed you to write code that was not readable in Siemens Step5 and, for this reason, many people didn't use the third party software even though the interface and general user experience was much better.

Nick

Early third party Step5 programming software allowed you to write code that was not readable in Siemens Step5 and, for this reason, many people didn't use the third party software even though the interface and general user experience was much better.

I think the opposite was also true, some instructions were not about to be displayed in the Windows versions (3rd party), I worked on a few large machines that would not work very well , every time I opened the software I would get "truncated" errors but also in the same plant that I was able to switch over and use the 'S5 for Windows' the large machines also had embedded S5's in the AMK drives, strange opening the AMK software and seeing S5's... they still have a few S5's running, they were great PLC's