What do you use to get barcode scannings to PLC

BachPhi

In particular, an ethernet PLC like CompactLogix.

In the past, I have used RTA module from Realtime Automation. Quick and easy, but you pay for it. I believe the price is now $675. Ouch!

I am thinking of using a Pi running mono with AAHMI.

What do you use?

RS-232 is dead to me

Please STOP purchasing RS-232 parts. It's over. We have not had those ports on our PC's for many years now. The RS232 ports are no longer on the PLC's either.

Also, please STOP using 1-D Zebra Stripe bar codes, 1-D Zebra barcodes pose severe content limitation, and are prone to miss-read, and no-read issues.

We should all be using Data-Matrix as a minimum factory standard. I won't pontificate why, just Google it.

To get data-matrix to a PLC, don't buy an expensive reader, buy a cheap reader, and use the RTA USB gateway.

You may balk at the $500 dollars, but I only deliver "Acid-Proof", Deterministic solutions to my customers.

You can go off in the corner, and write socket based programming for your specific application. But that comes at the expense of your labor, and becomes a one-of-a-kind solution.

Most professional Systems Integrators merely deploy "Off-The-Shelf" solutions to achieve customer delight.

RS-232 is dead to me

Please STOP purchasing RS-232 parts. It's over. We have not had those ports on our PC's for many years now. The RS232 ports are no longer on the PLC's either.

Also, please STOP using 1-D Zebra Stripe bar codes, 1-D Zebra barcodes pose severe content limitation, and are prone to miss-read, and no-read issues.

We should all be using Data-Matrix as a minimum factory standard. I won't pontificate why, just Google it.

To get data-matrix to a PLC, don't buy an expensive reader, buy a cheap reader, and use the RTA USB gateway.

You may balk at the $500 dollars, but I only deliver "Acid-Proof", Deterministic solutions to my customers.

You can go off in the corner, and write socket based programming for your specific application. But that comes at the expense of your labor, and becomes a one-of-a-kind solution.

Most professional Systems Integrators merely deploy "Off-The-Shelf" solutions to achieve customer delight.

Motorola LI4278 is nice , but I like Honeywell scanner 4800, now 1900 series. More industrial. Quick, and can scan difficult(scratch) barcode. Cognex is also good at scratch barcode, but expensive and slow response. Anyway , it's off the topic.

Plastic, I agreed on stop using RS232. Also agreed about Zebra on misread, and no read issue. But they are less maintenance than Intermec.

RTA module price is not $500, It's $675. Unless you can show me a link

lol, I did indicate just that. AdvancedHMI is AAHMI ( Archie's AHMI!!).

Another thing about "Off-the-Shelf". I used to have that attitude like Plastic, but think about it. Panelview Plus can only give so much, and AAHMI is much more flexible.