Wonderware ControlNet slow after PLC upgrade

phuz

Migrated a PLC-5 to Logix yesterday. The new Logix communicates via Ethernet but there is still another PLC-5 communicating via ControlNet. There's a KT card and they are using WWRSLINX. Since the upgrade, the comms to the PLC-5 are horribly slow. Updates are taking 10-15 seconds where they used to be pretty instant. After I migrated all the original PLC-5 Wonderware tags to Logix, I removed the original PLC-5 ControlNET topic from WWRSLINX and removed the access name from Wonderware. I re-scheduled the ControlNet with the new PLC-5 in place.

I'm at a loss what could be holding this up.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks, but this doesn't help.
The ControlNet side is slow.
The new Ethernet segment from Wonderware is fast, as you would expect. However, the remaining tags that are still talking to the other ControlNet PLC-5 are now very slow.
We've removed all unused nodes and rescheduled the ControlNet without any improvement. The PLC-5 program is also very slow when using RSLogix5 and I am being told it was never this bad.

Also getting reports that ControlNet flex racks are very slow to respond. (ie, pushing a button takes 5 seconds to react)

Did the NUT get changed when you rescheduled? Can you run RsNetwork against it and track the utilization time?

Utilization times are good (~15%). NUT is still 5ms.
I found the old flex CNET racks, that were converted to Ethernet, were left hanging, so apparently they become antennas for noise. Installed the old adapters on them so they have resistance, and it seems to have helped a bit.
We'll see.

Still getting about 6-7 seconds delay for value updates on the HMI. I'm actually better off setting up a READ MSG in the CLX from the PLC-5 and having Wonderware read that tag instead. Not sure why the long delays.

I am now off site but just heard from the client that update times have gone back up to about 15 seconds overnight (nothing was changed).

Yesterday AB made the suggestion about the old T-taps hanging in the remote IO cabinets, so we put the old adapters in place, but it doesn't seem to be helping after all.

To recap, this is what we've done:
PLC-5 removed
CLX 5574 installed
CNet cable from PLC-5 moved to 1756-CNB module
Flex IO racks 1794-ACN changed to AENT, but CNet modules remain plugged into CNet cable (for resistance)
Old 1794-ACN modules removed from CNet schedule
Old PLC-5 CNet Node 2 removed from CNet schedule
1756-CNB Node 2 added to CNet schedule
Re-wrote entire CNet schedule

That's at the 20% default. But very little CLX comms are done over ControlNet. Just a couple messages to the other PLC-5. The CLX is not controlling anything via ControlNet.

Remember, I said the Wonderware to the CLX (Ethernet) is fast. Wonderware to the PLC-5 (ControlNet) is horrible.

Please forgive me for trying to help, but I failed to see where you mentioned this?
All I see is a reference to WWRSLINX.

Posts #1 and #11.

It's OK, though. I will take any help offered at this point. I am a very experienced control engineer and this isn't my first rodeo with ControlNet, but I haven't seen anything like this. Of course, it's been a long time since I had worked on a ControlNet PLC-5. I have Rockwell back on the horn, too, but nothing is jumping out at them yet.