Pump Alternation

mitchell_t

Hi guys,

I know that "this has been covered lots of times in the past and I should just search it"... But I am struggling to find the correct method to rectify this problem...

So, I have an existing program from a Micrologix1500 that is running on a Boiler, I have ZERO PLC training and / or experience... Now, I am quite proud of the fact that I have managed to go from a program that had absolutely NO descriptions on any of the inputs/outputs/bits/Integers etc and have managed to label 95% of it, so I have a vague idea of what it is doing...

Ok, onto the issue at hand:

I have a boiler with 2 Feed water pumps running into the boiler, which used to run on a duty/standby cycle of 7 days (However the day counter would only ever tick over if the pump was running at the given time), the pump on duty would come on when it seen a low water input, then go off when said input went away, standby pump would come on if extra low water input was made. Every time the PLC was turned on, all counters reset to 0 and pump 1 would be duty pump, every time extra low water occurred counters would reset to 0 and pump 1 would be duty.

Anyway, Client has had us change the way the feed water system works, rather than pump coming on and off at low water, we now have 1 pump running at all times with a modulation valve allowing water into boiler as required and returning to feed tank when not required. So I have need of one pump running at all times (easy, just removed the requirement of low water needing an input, so pump runs at all times). What I am having issues with is the cycling, I have changed it so that pumps alternate every 12 hours (at clients request) But what I would like is for the PLC to remember what its current duty pump is, I don't want pump 1 to be duty every single time I power up the PLC, I don't want it to reset back to pump 1 after every time the Extra low water is triggered.

Your help is greatly anticipated & appreciated,

Tim

I haven't gone in depth with your logic but it looks like removing the first pass loading of C5:2.ACC in LAD 5 would end the power up initialization to pump #1. This would let the timers control the pumps without interference.

Why is the PLC being powered down?

What are your basis of alternation ?
Is it by :
- estimated cycle time ( lead/lag )
- last pump running
- Off float, lead float, lag float

We need more information on what you're trying to accomplish in order to suggest anything meaningful.

Hi guys,

I know that "this has been covered lots of times in the past and I should just search it"... But I am struggling to find the correct method to rectify this problem...

So, I have an existing program from a Micrologix1500 that is running on a Boiler, I have ZERO PLC training and / or experience... Now, I am quite proud of the fact that I have managed to go from a program that had absolutely NO descriptions on any of the inputs/outputs/bits/Integers etc and have managed to label 95% of it, so I have a vague idea of what it is doing...

Ok, onto the issue at hand:

I have a boiler with 2 Feed water pumps running into the boiler, which used to run on a duty/standby cycle of 7 days (However the day counter would only ever tick over if the pump was running at the given time), the pump on duty would come on when it seen a low water input, then go off when said input went away, standby pump would come on if extra low water input was made. Every time the PLC was turned on, all counters reset to 0 and pump 1 would be duty pump, every time extra low water occurred counters would reset to 0 and pump 1 would be duty.

Anyway, Client has had us change the way the feed water system works, rather than pump coming on and off at low water, we now have 1 pump running at all times with a modulation valve allowing water into boiler as required and returning to feed tank when not required. So I have need of one pump running at all times (easy, just removed the requirement of low water needing an input, so pump runs at all times). What I am having issues with is the cycling, I have changed it so that pumps alternate every 12 hours (at clients request) But what I would like is for the PLC to remember what its current duty pump is, I don't want pump 1 to be duty every single time I power up the PLC, I don't want it to reset back to pump 1 after every time the Extra low water is triggered.

Your help is greatly anticipated & appreciated,

Tim

Chances are who ever has the last good save of the program has the comments, remember the comments are saved with the program.

Set up a timer/counter that increments every 12 hours. When the counter value equals 0, use a compare instruction to turn on a "Pump 1 Active" bit. Use a second compare statement to turn on a "Pump 2 Active" bit after 12 hours have elapsed (counter value = 1). After the second 12 hour period has expired, the counter value should increment to 2. Use a compare instruction to energize the counter reset when counter ACC value =2. That returns the counter.ACC value to 0 and turns on the "Pump 1 Active" bit. The counter value should be retained through a power cycling event. I used this method on a chill water pump supply problem where I wanted to equalize run time between the supply pumps.

..... I used this method on a chill water pump supply problem where I wanted to equalize run time between the supply pumps.

Just a thought - why would you want to equalize run time...?

Let's assume these pumps will need maintenance after XXX hours of running to comply with manufacturer's warranty. Or, assume that seals need replacing after typically XXX hours of operation...

By balancing the run hours, you are forcing maintenance on both pumps at the same time - which is fine if you can shut-down your plant while you do it...

What I have done in the past, (client asked for it), is to always run pump1 as the "lead" pump, until pump1 had accrued XXX running hours, then switch into pump rotation mode.

Got a bit more tricky with 3 or 4-pump sets, but the idea was to introduce an offset in running hours, rather than equalizing them.