Servo control sans PLC

theripley

Can a servo motor run without using a PLC? Application is very, very simple - servo will run a few pulses (equivalent to 20mm) everytime a switch is hit.

The short answer is: yes.

I've seen the Ultra 3000 (in which you can put a routine in ladder logic) used in this way. The Kinetix family of drives have an option to accept discrete inputs and you can program moves in them as well.

I am not well versed in programming either family of drives but I certain there are manuals available for them at the Rockwell website.

The Parker Compax series drives is another possibility although those might be a bit of overkill for what you are doing.

The key word you need to use when describing such a product is "indexing drive".

Many servos offer both coordinated motion and PLC integration as well as stand-alone indexing features, but often a low-end servo controller will be sold as an indexing device.

In the A-B world, that's the Kinetix 3 and 300 family.