Class 2 Circuit Requirements

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
If a device specifies installation on a class 2 power supply is this a hard requirement? I am running into code conflicts between two code's I'm supposed to follow for this machine. One requiring redundancy/backup and the other on NEC's Class 2 requirements.

Do I have to use a Class 2 circuit if the device specifies it if I'm looking to get a UL stamp on the panel?

Does anyone know of a Class 2 UPS device? (I am required to have redundant power supplies and a UPS >15min on the circuit).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, if you have components that say they need a Class 2 power source, that means their UL listing is dependent upon that, so using them without one would void your ability to list the panel.

Offhand, I know Phoenix Contact makes at least one certified Class 2 UPS.
Really? I've never seen one and a review of their catalog says nothing about it.

As I understand it, the problem is the batteries. You can have a Class 2 listed power supply, which limits the output power to 100W max. (5A at 24VDC). You can also put a DC UPS on most power supplies. But as soon as you add the DC UPS to a Class 2 listed power supply, you void the Class 2 listing of the power supply because it's based on it's INHERENT power limiting capability but you have no ability to limit the power coming out of the battery, because it's on the LOAD side of the power supply. In other words if there is a short on the DC side, all of the battery stored energy will feed that short, nothing will limit it to 100W. I don't know of anyone that has come up with a power limited battery system that would meet Class 2 circuit standards.

The acceptable method I know of for this is to have a line or control voltage (i.e. 120V) fed UPS unit with the proper A-Hr rating for the task, FEEDING a Class 2 listed power supply that takes your line voltage to 24VDC, 100W limited.

One issue with that is finding / using a UL listed UPS unit. UPS units are (if at all) listed under UL 1778, not UL 508. The UL 508a rules for assembling control panels states that all components must be listed under UL 508, or on a specific short list of "other approved UL standards". The glitch is, UL 1778 is NOT on that list in the UL 508a procedure documents, yet if you look at the UL documents for UL 1778, it specifically states that they CAN be used in UL 508a control panels! This state of confusion has existed now for over 10 years and for some unknown reason, UL never fixes it. 9 out of 10 UL inspectors that work on the 508a panel shop program are aware of this glitch and understand, once in a while you run across a real jerk who says "NO! It's not specifically in the UL 508a documents!" It's a very frustrating thing when that happens...

Last edited:
You are totally right, I read my power supply/ups wrong and confused the cat1div2 approvals for the class 2 approvals.

Sola AC ups? UL recognized? It says that it is suitable for UL508.

http://www.solahevidutysales.com/pdf/ups/SDU-DIN-Rail-AC-UPS.pdf

"Suitable for UL 508, CSA C22.2 No. 107.1 Ind. Control
Equipment Applications"

That's the wording right out of the UL 1778 (now renamed as UL 60960) standard, but that is what's missing from UL508a. Like I said, MOST of the UL inspectors understand this issue and accept it as stated in the UPS standard, a FEW of them unfortunately do not. I've run across it once myself and have assisted someone else who did, then also had it come up in another forum last year where a panel builder had it rejected.

Last edited:
So is there any method of getting a UL listed panel with redundant power? The other specification I have to follow requires redundancy and 15 min backup power.

Thank you for the insight. Appreciate it.