mechanical plc selector switch

windpowerfan

Hello! Can a person get a switch that will hand 32 I/O lines from one plc to a second? 12 deck rotary switches apparently don't come in 10 amp, with enough contacts. Custom design by web of long cam industrial rotary switches is available but seems like a bit much for a community college to get only 2 or 3 of.
Scott

It seems a bit much to hard wire 32 points from one PLC to another.
Myself, I would be trying to set up a message or a produced/consumed scheme.
You will get a lot more help here if you include what type of PLC's and software you are using.

Thanks

These are slc 500 by control logix.
Management has asked for a permanent selector to change control units (while powered down) without changing the I/O device setup.
Scott.

Given that you are already having to do something that is not the best, is there any reason you can't use multiple switches? With perhaps using some additional contacts on each switch so that the I/O is only powered when both switches are in the same position?

I used to design and build selector switches. To switch 32 lines between PLCs would require 64 single pole contacts which you are very unlikely to find in one switch. Kraus & Naimer have selector switches with 4 contacts per layer and a maximum of 12 layers, so you could get up to 48 contacts.

http://www.krausnaimer.com/Pdfcat/KN110GB0516.pdf

I am not sure why you would want to switch the inputs from one PLC to another. Most sensors can drive more than one input, so you could probably leave both PLCs connected at the same time. If you are worried about feedback between 24V d.c. circuits you can always use diodes.

These are slc 500 by control logix.
Management has asked for a permanent selector to change control units (while powered down) without changing the I/O device setup.
Scott.

SLC500 and Control Logix are two different animals.

RSLogix 500 would be used to program SLC PLC's, 5/05 and 5/04, mirologix and the such.

Control Logix is a much newer Automation Controller and is programmed by the RSLogix5000 or Studio 5000 software.

You need to sort out exactly what the controllers they are that you want to talk back and fourth.

Then, make sure you have the appropriate software to get online with both controllers, if they are indeed different.

You state that this must be "mechanical" in nature, this seems like a very expensive approach when you already have the PLC's and apparently the software to do a message or produced/consumed, that will work long after the "mechanical" aspect fails.

Ozpeter, multiple switches likely could be interlocked, that option will now be in the alternatives file.
Bryan G, all of the story is not told to me, but many odd setups can make sense for instructors in a college plc lab. Diodes and dual connection is one thought I will bounce off of leadership. Thanx

plcpieguy, my mistake, we use several but these are control logix using the RSLogix 5000. If mechanical were possible I did not think the specifics beyond circuit value would apply.

Steve B,I intend to learn why we are not selecting power to A verse power to B today.
I did see what you are thinking and as a wire guy it seems best.