Video Recording Live Camera data on test rig

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Something i have not ever had anything to do with

(the video part)

Doing a hydraulic test rig with recipes and stuff - no problem but the customer wants to now record 3 or 4 cameras of video feed to a NAS unit for the duration of the test and have this on a display

I have used Synology NAS before with OnVif cameras but these require mouse input to set up recording start / stop etc etc

The customer wants the plc to start/stop the recording with no user intervention, the screen just being there for viewing

Anyone done anything like this thats relatively easy ?

All advice appreciated.....

Many of the surveillance DVR's and NVR's have "alarm inputs" that will trigger recording on selected cameras. Maybe you could work something out with one of those??

Many of the surveillance DVR's and NVR's have "alarm inputs" that will trigger recording on selected cameras. Maybe you could work something out with one of those??

This is also the direction I would go. The "alarm" trigger is meant to be an external motion sensor, door sensor, inductive car pickup etc but of course you could use it for anything. The better DVRs (sorry, it's been too long for me to make a recommendation) will allow you to label each input as well, so when the recordings are stored it looks like "Door Trigger, 11:49AM 2016-11-14" which is very nice.

Edit: I've used Axis network cameras in the past that had the functionality built in to accept an input and upload the pre/proceeding x amount of seconds/minutes of video to an FTP server, no NVR required.

Last edited:
A lot can happen in the 20 milliseconds between frames.
I haven't got any experience with using video to record testing unless it has been high speed video but that was not with a hydraulic system.

When doing hydraulic testing the customers usually just record data direct to a hard drive and not use video because the data can be captured at 1 millisecond rates or faster which is something standard video cannot do.