Data storage?

jkrom

I am working on a new project (MicroLogix 1500 w/ Net-ENI and PView 600) in which I would like to store test data without (hopefully) having a PC permanently attached. The only way I can think to do this within the PLC is to create a seperate string address for each test and having a ton of ladder logic to move from the latest to the oldest - doesn't sound like fun.

I am envisioning a seperate device that would just hold strings of data until such a time (weekly? monthly?) that a laptop can be plugged in to extract it. Does such a device exist?

Hope the question is clear enough (this is my first post) - please ask if you're unclear.

So, has anyone ever used the "DLG" instruction? It appears to be for the 1500 ML only - but the help instructions have me a little confused.

If you're looking for a more capable data logging solution than what's provided with the ML1500 DLG instruction, there are a number of HMI's on the market today that have data logging capability. Some of them even have CompactFlash removable storage, such as AB PanelView Plus, Red Lion G3, and Pro-Face (Xycom).
I was looking into this issue myself some months ago and I came across a standalone CompactFlash data recorder called the DataBridge from Acumen Instruments. It requires a serial connection from the PLC that supports ASCII transfer.

John

I had thought of using the PanelView Plus, but the plant wants to stick with a regulart PanelView 600 for this machine, as they are "comfortable" with the product and don't want to deviate from standard.

The Acumen product looks like exactly what I had in mind and I'm going to contact them today.

thanks

Curious

Jim,
Please update this post after you get Acumen recorder and try it out.
I'd be very interested to know how you like/use it.

Mike

Jim,

I'd also be interested to know how the Acumen recorder works out.

One thing to maybe keep in mind... This is going back a few months so don't quote me here but I was reading the documentation for the DataBridge and I think you have to push the Record button on the unit every time you want to start recording data.

So I was contemplating whether I should attempt to disassemble the switch and somehow connect it to a relay output of the PLC, that way I could make it start recording every time the machine starts up. But we never went ahead with the project so I didn't have a chance to try it.

-John

Acumen's DataBridge

First off, a big apology for bumping an old thread. I recently was made aware of this forum and a mention of our company on it.

My name is Joel Hagen, and I'm a co-founder of the Acumen Instruments Corp. mentioned above. My reason for posting: I know several people have used our recorder with PLCs, but frankly, we don't get much feedback from them, and we could really use it. My guess is it either works and they quietly use it, or it doesn't work and they move on.

I'm posting to the forum with the hope of being useful to PLC customers. If you've tried our product and it worked or didn't work, I'd like to know. If you'd like to try out a loaner unit with your PLC, let me know. If you have some input that would be useful, I'd really appreciate it.

If this post is considered too "commercial", I ask that the moderators of this forum delete it. I'm an engineer, and I'm certainly not here to promote.

Please let me know how we can better serve PLC users. I won't be offended by terms like "sucks" or worse-- in fact, I welcome negative feedback. I also promise to give you open and honest answers to any of your questions, and I'll do my best to monitor here and answer.

Joel Hagen
Acumen Instruments Corporation
http://www.acumeninstruments.com

P.S. Jim, we did NOT receive your email. If you're still interested, please contact us/me. If not, I understand (it's been awhile). GO PISTONS!!!

Last edited: