CompactLogix to Siemens equivalent.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm new to Siemens and I'm trying to find the Siemens equivalent for a CompactLogix L33ER.
I know Siemens use a different memory arrangement, so that's the part I cannot compare apples to apples. As a reference, a project in a CompactLogix can take me 300-500 KB.

Thank you!

How many IO and do you use any motion axes ?

As a reference, a project in a CompactLogix can take me 300-500 KB.
I dont know how to convert that to a Siemens. If you theoretically made the same program in SLC500 or PLC5 (I know, not really possible) how much memory would it then take up ? You can multiply an SLC500 or PLC5 program memory by x1.5 to get the approximate memory requirement in a Siemens PLC.

I'm looking at the S7-1500 series, but I don't know if the CPU 1511-1 is not powerful enough or if the CPU 1515-2 is too much power for my needs.

You get two separate (2 NIC) Ethernet ports with the 1515
A 1513 has 1. I would think the 1513 would be fine because of the 300 KB code and 1.5 MB data

Last edited:
You get two separate (2 NIC) Ethernet ports with the 1515
The CompactLogix L33ER has 2 Ethernet ports, but 1 would be enough for me.

A 1513 has 1. I would think the 1513 would be fine because of the 300 KB code and 1.5 MB data
That's where I don't know how to compare. I guess if I have a 300KB in the CompactLogix, the 300KB + 1.5MB in the 1513 would be enough.

If you theoretically made the same program in SLC500 or PLC5 (I know, not really possible) how much memory would it then take up ?
I would like to have this answered. Then I can tell you which Siemens CPU will be powerful enough for your application. It doesnt have to be accurate. Just not a factor 10 off.

In my opinion AB is much easier to troubleshoot , software is easier to use

It depends on who wrote the code... if they wrote it with the troubleshooter in mind and some one looking at the code they wrote or if they only wanted to get the machine running

Compared to MicroLogix the 1214 is a beast.
If you make the leap, go for the PRO version of TIA.
You'll be set to tackle their entire range of hardware.
And, get the SUS.