Opportunity for AB training. At what level should I start?

TL140

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,

The company I work for had offered me the opportunity to receive Allen Bradley training/certification with McNaughton McKay. Looking at their courses, for the studio 5000 logix designer level 1 (CCP299), all these topics are something I practice on a frequent basis. (I work as an automation tech with no formal training other than two associate degrees in mechatronics, and industrial electronics, and 3 years of experience. I do have certs from Scantime Engineering LTD, but do not receive recognition for these.).
Level 2 (CCP151), most topics I am familiar with. Using compare instructions, counters, data manipulation with the MOV instructions, etc. The only thing on the list that i could use more experience in is filling arrays. I work a lot with barcodes and I know how to use FLL and COP/CPS fairly decently to get the job done. I also know about the perks of writing hex values to registers to turn on multiple outputs and such.

On level 3 (CCP143), project development, I would really like to learn more about these subjects. I know how to use UDTs and organize arrays, but the other subjects I have little knowledge of.

I really want to jump into level 3, but with this being my first formal training, I don't want know what to expect and I don't want to gimp myself going into the class. But on the other hand, I want to advance, grow, learn new skills, and I don't want to waste company resources going to a class that will not fully benefit me.

Given the information that I have, would you guys recommend that I take level 2 or think that with what I listed I am competent enough for level 3?

Also, I am going to the FactoryTalk View ME & PanelView Plus Programming (CCV204). I am REALLY excited about that because I have wanted to get in depth with HMIs for a long time now.

Having been in a similar situation as you, I would start at level 2. CCP229 is really for people new to the L5K software. If you already know how to do the basics, then you will likely not get much from that class. CCP151 is a good place to start with more complex ideas, and you will likely learn a few tricks that you didn't know. In my experience, the instructor will give you more complicated labs to do if you let them know you are not challenged by the ones out of the book. Once you get to any of the level 3 classes that include the words "Project Development", you want to make sure you have a very solid understanding of any material covered in levels 1 and 2. Having taken a couple of different Project Development type classes, I was glad I spent the time at the level 2 classes because when you get to level 3, you will be expected to have all the basics, as well as most of the intermediate skills down, or you will be lost and left behind.
A former co-worker of mine ran into that when he tried to start out with the level 3 FactoryTalk class. He was lost in the first ten minutes, and despite a lot of attention from the instructor he was never able to recover and learn what the class was teaching. The instructor did all he could to help him out, but it just got to the point that the rest of the class was going to suffer due to his not understanding the basics before attending the level 3 class. So the instructor had no no choice but to move on.

That's my 2 cents.
Enjoy the classes, I got a lot out of them, and hopefully you will too.
As a side note, Rockwell instructors do not find my "Rockwell saying", which is, "The nice thing about Rockwell is that you can always find a better product, but you'll never pay more", at all amusing...

Will.

Having been in a similar situation as you, I would start at level 2. CCP229 is really for people new to the L5K software. If you already know how to do the basics, then you will likely not get much from that class. CCP151 is a good place to start with more complex ideas, and you will likely learn a few tricks that you didn't know. In my experience, the instructor will give you more complicated labs to do if you let them know you are not challenged by the ones out of the book. Once you get to any of the level 3 classes that include the words "Project Development", you want to make sure you have a very solid understanding of any material covered in levels 1 and 2. Having taken a couple of different Project Development type classes, I was glad I spent the time at the level 2 classes because when you get to level 3, you will be expected to have all the basics, as well as most of the intermediate skills down, or you will be lost and left behind.
A former co-worker of mine ran into that when he tried to start out with the level 3 FactoryTalk class. He was lost in the first ten minutes, and despite a lot of attention from the instructor he was never able to recover and learn what the class was teaching. The instructor did all he could to help him out, but it just got to the point that the rest of the class was going to suffer due to his not understanding the basics before attending the level 3 class. So the instructor had no no choice but to move on.

That's my 2 cents.
Enjoy the classes, I got a lot out of them, and hopefully you will too.
As a side note, Rockwell instructors do not find my "Rockwell saying", which is, "The nice thing about Rockwell is that you can always find a better product, but you'll never pay more", at all amusing...

Will.

Thanks for the reply! I just recieved word that as of right now, my boss is putting me into CCV204 for my first class (FactoryTalk View ME & PanelView Plus Programming). We only have one controls engineer for the whole facility and he is the only one that does HMIs. My boss said that after this, i can expect more training in the future. Do you have any tips for this specific class?

That class will start you out at the beginning and should give you enough time to master the concepts. The key for me was making sure I kept the skills fresh after the class was over. Even if you don't have a PanelView project to work on, try to make it a point of getting on the software on a regular basis so you don't lose what you learned. And don't throw away the books you get! They make really handy references when you have to try and remember something you know you learned in a class five years ago.

Good luck!
Will.

You're in SC at the BMW plant, right? Only one engineer in that plant? Wow. I did some contract work back in the 90's replacing some code that the German's had f*** up.

Anyway, being in SC, forget the Rockwell courses at MM. See if your boss will send you to Charleston to take Ron Beaufort's course. You'll learn much more practical knowledge than the stuff MM will feed you, IMHO. And if you get a crappy instructor, you'll only be replicating their bad practices.

You're in SC at the BMW plant, right? Only one engineer in that plant? Wow. I did some contract work back in the 90's replacing some code that the German's had f*** up.

Anyway, being in SC, forget the Rockwell courses at MM. See if your boss will send you to Charleston to take Ron Beaufort's course. You'll learn much more practical knowledge than the stuff MM will feed you, IMHO. And if you get a crappy instructor, you'll only be replicating their bad practices.

I'm at one of their T1 suppliers. And only one controls guy. Some things happen (health issues) to the second controls guy and right now hes not available to work. And I've ask about RB schooling however it was denied for approval. I'm not high up to know what happens behind the scenes, but I think we have a strict list of vendors even for training services? But I'm just glad I'm receiving training at all.