fun in-house project

rpoet

Our shop has a loft with a removable railing section, for use when we want to load/unload with a forklift. A recent safety audit decided that there should be warning strobes that flash automatically whenever the railing is removed. I built this:

Two N.C. inductive prox sensors operate a pair of relays to turn on the strobes when the railing is removed. I mounted the sensors in the railing bases.

Nothing groundbreaking, but a fun little project that used a bunch of parts I already had on the shelf. I'll be doing the same thing for another loft in the building next week.

-rpoet

strobe cab.jpg strobe sensor.jpg

OT: fun in-house project

... I couldn't help but think of this picture when I read your post.
My kids are reading this book (perpetually) right now.

Link to the book author's blog

Nothing groundbreaking, but a fun little project that used a bunch of parts I already had on the shelf. I'll be doing the same thing for another loft in the building next week.
-rpoet
But seriously, cool idea. It's not too often I see all of those words used together with a safety project. Brightened my morning.
Thanks rpoet.

health and safety.jpg

Our shop has a loft with a removable railing section, for use when we want to load/unload with a forklift. A recent safety audit decided that there should be warning strobes that flash automatically whenever the railing is removed. I built this:

Two N.C. inductive prox sensors operate a pair of relays to turn on the strobes when the railing is removed. I mounted the sensors in the railing bases.

-rpoet

Beyond fun, lights do not prevent people from falling off of mezzanine with open rails. Google is our friend, there are "off-the-shelf" products to make a physical barrier. You can add a switch to the real barrier to activate your lights accordingly. :) http://www.benkoproducts.com/mezzanine-industrial-safety-gates-pivot-model.html

Originally posted by Plastic:

...there are "off-the-shelf" products to make a physical barrier.

That's a nice gate assembly...if all I have to get off the mezzanine is a pallet-sized load. What if I need to get the occasional 4'x4'x10' crate off the mezzanine? Do we need to anticipate the largest item we might encounter and build for that?

Sometimes administrative controls are all you can implement "within reason".

Keith

At the locations where the tippy gate is not feasible, we have attachment points for personnel fall protection lanyard, and the employees connect to it prior to decoupling the safety rail.