Scr dc

Charbel

Dear,

I know that this question is not very much related to this group, however, I really appreciate if I can get a feedback on it

"SCR DC starter in a control panel for filter belt press is it still widely used or there is any newer technology"

thank you,

Charbel

We have BDP Belt Filter Presses and they use VFDs for the belt press drives.
These happen the be Altivar VFDs and are set up to communicate with the PLC via hard wired discrete and analog outputs.
They could also communicate via Modbus or ModbusTCP if desired.
There is little if any reason to prefer DC over AC VFDs in my opinion.
The lower hp motors the AC drives could be cheaper that the equivalent electro-mechanical starter, especially a reversing starter.

If you have a DC motor and you are not willing to change the motor, then you need a DC starter. Is there something better than a thyristor based DC controller? It would depend on your concept of "better", what type of DC motor you have, what you want the motor to do, and what you are willing to spend. "Better" for some people means the latest technology just for the sake of having the latest technology, "better" for others means something that does the required job reliably at the lowest cost.

So yes, if you are referring to larger power ratings for DC motors that traditionally used SCR based controllers, there are transistor based PWM controllers available now (although they still will have SCR or diode bridge rectifiers if fed from an AC source). They may or may not provide any added benefit however.

We have BDP Belt Filter Presses and they use VFDs for the belt press drives.
These happen the be Altivar VFDs and are set up to communicate with the PLC via hard wired discrete and analog outputs.
They could also communicate via Modbus or ModbusTCP if desired.
There is little if any reason to prefer DC over AC VFDs in my opinion.
The lower hp motors the AC drives could be cheaper that the equivalent electro-mechanical starter, especially a reversing starter.

thank you