Transfer display in FactoryTalk

Amy_Fields

In FactoryTalk is there a way to transfer/copy and entire Display from one project to another? I have tried exporting it but when importing it ask for a current display to import the graphics. I would simply like to copy one display from project to project.

Thank you

If you have both projects open, you can just drag and drop.

The other trick is that when you export one or more displays, as well as an xml file for each display, you also get an extra file - the batch import file. This batch import file just says "import file xxx, import file yyy, import file zzz" for each of your displays - so if you've only exported the one display, it'll literally be a one line file saying "import file xxx". Then, when you go to import, choose to do a batch import rather than a single file import, and pick the batch file instead of the display file. Whether the batch file is for one display or one hundred displays, it'll create new displays for everything, instead of asking you to add it to an existing one.

Thank you. Just prior to reading your post I figured out I could drag and drop between the two projects. Great. However in the new project everything transferred except the Text characters, just question marks. Is there a way to transfer all the text as well?

Thanks for your help.

You can also right click on the Display Editor and select Add Component. Then point to the original .gfx file. It will copy it to your new application. That way you don't have to open a project just to copy a file.

As for the text, did the original project have multiple languages supported? If it did, and the new project did not, that could be why you are seeing that.

Can you post a screenshot showing us what you are seeing?

OG

The ?? sounds like the multiple languages to me as well.

I would go with ASF's second idea; use the XML export/import all the time.
The XML import (and ONLY that) forces FTView Studio to "clean up" the graphic file.
Highly recommended if you are:
  • using a newer version of FTView Studio with a project created in an older version
  • copying graphic files from one project to another