Allen Bradley SLC 5/03 won't power on even there is Power supply.

euracs

Hi I am a beginner in troubleshooting PLC.
My problem encountered from the start when we try to do the backup.
The plc status has a light indicating on Run, Batt, force, DH485, RS232 and the power indicator. When we try to connect the laptop using software SLC 5/00 to RS232 but when we try to configure, it cannot communicate it says failed and we do it several times and still we cannot connect. and we try to pull out the cable from the DH485 because we want to try in different connection to communicate but suddenly the plc's indicators turn off. We check the fuse it still have the continuity and the power supply has a 24 volts dc.

The battery inside is not yet replaced more than 10 years because nobody care that time.

I have a question guys.
1.) Is this a symptoms when battery is defective?
2.) when the battery is defective what happen to the program?
3.) Is there any way how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Eugene

Last edited:
Its unlikely that a bad battery will cause your problems as the PLC will run just fine without a battery.
Its more likely a bad processor or bad power supply.

See pdf for a troubleshooting guide.

Euracs:
your are trying to use RS232 port, are you sure your usb to serial port converter is the right one, or you are using a real serial port.
Please take into account that if your serial port on your SLC is configured as ascii you will not be able to connect from your pc.

Sorry I did not read the last part of DH485

Last edited:
I had an issue when I plugged in a defective cable into an Omron shoe box model and it shorted out the communication card n the processor. The machine ran but eventually had to change the processor and dump the program in again
Not sure that is your issue but it has happen to me

"The battery has not been replaced in 10 years"

Has the unit been sitting on the shelf for 10 years unplugged?

When was the last time it ran?

Its unlikely that a bad battery will cause your problems as the PLC will run just fine without a battery.
Its more likely a bad processor or bad power supply.

See pdf for a troubleshooting guide.
To Mickey

Thank you for the guide!

I will try this troubleshooting guide.

I had an issue when I plugged in a defective cable into an Omron shoe box model and it shorted out the communication card n the processor. The machine ran but eventually had to change the processor and dump the program in again
Not sure that is your issue but it has happen to me
I'm still figuring out, maybe we have similar problem, I'm waiting for the supervisors decision to continue in deep troubleshooting. because the plc still connected to the power generator control system for the synchronizing purposes and as of this time the plant is connected run by power generator.

"The battery has not been replaced in 10 years"

Has the unit been sitting on the shelf for 10 years unplugged?

When was the last time it ran?
Yes the battery is more than 10 years.

The battery indicator was blinking before the problem occur.
There are times when we conduct annual shutdown we totally shut down the plant for 1 day.
But yesterday I saw this PLC still ran before the problem occur.

If the battery light is blinking then i would suggest it is time to replace it before it fails completely, as the battery is in the back on the PCB you will need to remove it to change it, the program in the SLC will last for quite a while so you should have no trouble changing it over.

Alan

If the battery light is blinking then i would suggest it is time to replace it before it fails completely, as the battery is in the back on the PCB you will need to remove it to change it, the program in the SLC will last for quite a while so you should have no trouble changing it over.

Alan
Thanks for the additional support Alan.

Hey guys good eve!

We conduct a little bit deeper of troubleshooting, we take the processor and try to another plc power supply with other chasis but when try to connect to this kind of cable as trial and error. The details of cable is RS232 and the other end is RJ45. I am hoping that it was DH485. But the power supply will turn to dead supply.
How to make a cable that the same the connection DH485 if we have an existing cable that has RS232 and the end is RJ45?
I am sorry for my english guys, but i hope that some people can understand.

Thank you.

The battery indicator was blinking before the problem occur.

Are you sure? did someone tell you this or did you see it? the battery light will not flash, when the battery is bad it will be solid, the light above the battery will flash and that means you have a recoverable fault

Watch out when plugging just anything into the RJ45 port on the PLC, it has 24 VDC and unless you are using a UIC or other device then you will blow up your other end (PC)

You can use a 1747-UIC for the DH485 (RJ45) port or a 1747-CP3 (null modem/cross over) cable on the RS232 BD9 port

dh 485

Are you using a UIC convertor to connect DH485?
You did not try to plug in to the ethernet port on the laptop to the PLC did you?

If you plugged in to the laptop directly it may of smoked the PLC port.

You need to buy the cable and apapter for DH485.

Are you using a UIC convertor to connect DH485?
You did not try to plug in to the ethernet port on the laptop to the PLC did you?

If you plugged in to the laptop directly it may of smoked the PLC port.

You need to buy the cable and apapter for DH485.

I agree. Also a good point to note is that when using a UIC and your own RJ45 cable, be sure that the RJ45 cable is NOT a crossover cable. Straight through ONLY.