Denitrification in WWTP

Charbel

Dear,

I wanted to check if it is enough to use nitrate sensor in MBR tanks (in the oxic compartment) to control the recirculating pumps for denitrification or we need to use also the flow incoming to the MBR tanks.

Actually the nitrate sensor will give a concentration value (how much nitrate is included) so accordingly the pumps will be controlled, please refer to attachment also.

really appreciate any feedback,

thank you,

Charbel

denitrification.jpg

Recirculation is usually controlled as a ratio of recirculation flow rate to influent flow rate. I'm not sure if increasing recirculation flow rate at higher nitrate levels would be effective, since total residence time won't change. I suggest you talk to your MBR supplier and solicit their opinion.

The most common process problem I've seen is high DO in the recirculation flow, which can keep anoxic conditions from developing. Keeping DO low at the end of the tank is the key to that.

Recirculation is usually controlled as a ratio of recirculation flow rate to influent flow rate. I'm not sure if increasing recirculation flow rate at higher nitrate levels would be effective, since total residence time won't change. I suggest you talk to your MBR supplier and solicit their opinion.

The most common process problem I've seen is high DO in the recirculation flow, which can keep anoxic conditions from developing. Keeping DO low at the end of the tank is the key to that.

Dear tom,

thank you for your reply,

I was checking the below paper, it mentions that de-nitrification is done based on the measurement of nitrate level measured by online nitrate sensors.

http://info.xyleminc.com/rs/198-DLL...zWlhXR25EaEcyZHlCY1RpdTBmaUJHUE5XXC9OVWVzPSJ9

I guess it is better as you said to talk to MBR supplier

The paper describes a very special case - an industrial waste that is deficient in COD. That is typically not the case in municipal wastewater.

I know the author, Rob Smith - he and I have done classes together. He is very sharp and a straight shooter. I suggest that in addition to your MBR supplier you contact Rob Smith, explain your process and control objectives, and see what he has to say. Xylem/YSI obviously wants to sell instruments, but Rob will give you honest info.