Logix msg rusty memory

spaderkung

Hi

So I'm a bit rusty now on Logix. But in Studio5000 even after using the correct eds file, or when you know the cip assembly and size, and add an Ethernet object, is the msg instruction still needed?

Seems odd to define ip adress twice and move again to the controller tag.

Controllogix L71, EN2T eth card.

Thanks

Last edited:
Any reason you don't want to use produce/consume? (note they can't be edited while running but I believe they can be added while running)

Explain a little more about what you're trying to do.

Your mention of a CIP Assembly Object suggests that you're using a non-Rockwell device and setting up a cyclic I/O connection.

In general, that automatically creates appropriately sized Input and Output and Configuration tags, and establishes the cyclic I/O data exchange at whatever rate you configure with the Requested Packet Interval (RPI) setting.

If you need to read or write data that's not included in the cyclic I/O Assembly, then you might use a Message (MSG) instruction. Because that uses a different set of buffers and mechanisms, you need to configure it separately to point to the device and the data payload and source or destination.

Thanks

Ken, your answer I understand. I have a couple of devices to read and write.

ABB inverter, i have eds and the drive is in the configuration lower left side. Since I know the cip assembly number I know what will be in the array of ints in the controller tag and I need not do more? It could aldo be that i got a custom dialog for this, but it seems as it should be communicating automatically. The program we continue on does however read each word from device with msg even though the drive was as a generic cip (not eds used, I don't know what drive before). It seemed to me as double work.

One device is the rockwell power monitor 500. That does surprI singly not have an eds? So i made a generic eth in the cofiguration. Problem with this device is that the voltage and current is in one cip assembly but power in another. I can only cofigure to read 1 assembly. So here I might need to msg?

Last edited: