A newbie question about EDS, AOP, Profile

unsaint32

I am a automation tech with very limited programming experiences. I am trying to learn about AOP. I have been reading the PDF "EDS AOP Guidelines for Logix Designer" but I am still confused.

1. How is AOP different than "profile" or "EDS" or "EDS AOP"?

2. Is it AOP or EDS that provides all the module-defined data types?

Thank you.

EDS stands for "Electronic Data Sheet." To keep it really simple, the EDS holds the information for the hardware. The EDS generally adds the hardware to your database and allows RSLinx to communicate.

AOP or add-on profile contains hardware addressing information and at times settings for your Ethernet/IP device.

I once installed an Ethernet/IP barcode scanner. The EDS allowed RSLinx to see the device and get some basic information. The AOP set up the addressing and hardware within my program.

You can also set up a generic Ethernet module with cyclic IO to handle Ethernet/IP communications.

EDS stands for "Electronic Data Sheet." To keep it really simple, the EDS holds the information for the hardware. The EDS generally adds the hardware to your database and allows RSLinx to communicate.
So, to get the module-defined data for programming, I would need AOP (not EDS) then.

AOP or add-on profile contains hardware addressing information and at times settings for your Ethernet/IP device.
So, AOP comes with some kind of GUI that lets me type in IP address then?

If you have the AOP, you can actually search and add that module to your hardware configuration the same way as you add a digital input card. You add the module to your communications tree, and yes, you get a popup where you define IP address and other configuration parameters. After you've done that, you'll find a tag in your controller tags list which can be expanded out to show all of the information to and from that device.

For example, if you add a VSD and call it Drive_1, you'll probably find tags like Drive_1.RampTime, Drive_1.Running, Drive_1.FaultCode, and so on. Of course, how detailed and/or helpful the tag structure is depends entirely on how much effor the vendor put into building the AOP. Some of them are quite comprehensive and need very little manipulation to make them usable, others you just about have to create an AOI just to extract the data into a meaningful structure.

You would not need an AOP OR an EDS to add a module. You could add a generic module and define the size of the data. Then you would look at the documentation to understand what the different address are so that you could add them in your program.

You would not need an AOP OR an EDS to add a module. You could add a generic module and define the size of the data. Then you would look at the documentation to understand what the different address are so that you could add them in your program.

Sorry about a newbie question, but.... let's say I am adding PFLX525 as a generic module (because I didn't know how to use AOP). How would I get the tag for "drive faulted" input signal? Are you saying, in this case, I will not get a descriptive tag such as Drive.I:faulted, but adding that module will automatically populate some generic data structure and I can look through AB literature to find a bit address that corresponds to that fault bit?

Sorry about a newbie question, but.... let's say I am adding PFLX525 as a generic module (because I didn't know how to use AOP). How would I get the tag for "drive faulted" input signal? Are you saying, in this case, I will not get a descriptive tag such as Drive.I:faulted, but adding that module will automatically populate some generic data structure and I can look through AB literature to find a bit address that corresponds to that fault bit?
IMHO, your time would be much better used in taking the time to download the AOP, versus attempting to determine what you want "the hard way".
OTOH, some people just enjoy hard work ::: enjoy!

That is exactly correct. You will look at the addresses to find the "fault present" bit or whatever their literature calls it. You will also likely have a fault code value somewhere as well. There will be an input and output section of the data. The input will be cyclically updated, and you would want to make alias tags to get a descriptive identifier and copy that information over.

As far as outputs you would do the same, but you would run your logic on descriptive tags and then copy that data over to the output section of the data.

Using an AOP for your device is straight forward. You will need RSLogix v20 or higher and it is in the top menus. I can't remember the exact spot, but you can add the AOP and then add the module as an ethernet module by searching for it in the list.

Yep. You, Jeffrey and sparkie all have it spot on.

Personally, I'll often seek out a more expensive model of [device] that has an AOP, rather than use a cheaper model that doesn't. The hardware cost is most often completely offset in labour savings because I don't have to do the tedious work of trawling through a manual to decrypt and arrange data. And then at the end of it, I have some nice, neat code that makes my OCD go to it's happy place 🍺

yep. You, jeffrey and sparkie all have it spot on.

Personally, i'll often seek out a more expensive model of [device] that has an aop, rather than use a cheaper model that doesn't. The hardware cost is most often completely offset in labour savings because i don't have to do the tedious work of trawling through a manual to decrypt and arrange data. And then at the end of it, i have some nice, neat code that makes my ocd go to it's happy place 🍺

+1

For the OP...

EDS = identity - RSLinx need this
AOP = language we speak - Logix5000/Studio5000 needs this

Last edited: