Which AB should I pick ?

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
One of the standard system which we supply to an OEM need to be converted to AB.

Its real small, usually 60 I/Os but could go to 100.

We usually do it with an OMRON CPM1A but we need to quote a price for an AB PLC.

What bugs me is the online-edit capacity in the AB shoe-box PLCs.

Is there on that can do it?

Will I need to mess around with firmare version and Software version?

Which one should I pick?

I usually use a SLC5/03 but this one being so small, is there a good solution?

Pierre

The equivalent product in AB to CPM1/2 is ML1200 it piece of $hit.
I use a lot with Omrone CPM and I know the big differnce when you can to program in on-line then to download every small change.
The issue is cost differnce between SLC503 to ML1200.
The other option is more expensive.
If you have working system with Omron is not so bad but if you need to develop the program from the beginning is kind of self obuse.
If you must and you have spare SLC503 I would do all the development on the 503 and then just exchange the PLC.
I forced few week ago to use ML1200 it took me at list 10 hour more
then it took usually.
I program fast when I know I have easy way to fix my bugs, with ML you should work very carefully to save your self the next download.
The good thing AB rep told me next year ML going to have on-line edits too.

60 to 100 I/O's ? is that correct?

as far as online edits go slc 503 and up all support online edits.
the CPM1A with expansion cards to gain 60 to 100 I\Os can have mixed I|O types. What type of I|O's are you using. and how many of each?

Either the ML-1200 or ML-1500 will handle the I/O. The 1200 is less expensive, but it does not provide on line editing. I believe the 1500 does allow online editing, but you should verify that with a distributor.

Both program much like the SLC, but there are some of the math and communications functions that are missing.

We use the base unit - CPM1A-40 and add some 20EDR to it as needed.

So we usually have only 60 I/O... all discrete.

If we go to more we need 1 analog output.

I thought in the last year I had not use any ML 1200, thet they would have come up with an online-edit version.

What a piece of ****!

OK, we'll go for the 5/03 then.

But does the 1500 still has issues with firmware?

The biggest issue for me is not the price its the online edit, and the size.

Tom

ML1500 is not support on-line edits.
On line edits support start fron SLC503.
The reason AB did not add this option to their PLCs in simple.
in projects up to 150 I/O or so we would use cheap ML not expensive SLC.
That the reason they just made ML1200 with 2 communication ports.
In this size of PLCs AB away back from Omron AD and others.

Pierre I think a 5/03 is a great platform for the 60 I/O issue and you get the online edits. I'm sure each manufacturer has a comparable unit but I can speak to the 5/03. I like the modularity/flexibilty you get with different I/O cards in a SLC chassis

Pierre,

Talk to your distributor about CompactLogix. I had a project (which went nowhere) where I was recommending a SLC. The distributor said if I knew '5000 programming the CompactLogix would be cheaper and more flexible.

As I said - the project went nowhere, so I never evaluated the CompactLogix myself, but what I heard said that it was worth the look.

Good luck,

Marc

msinclair said:
Pierre,

Talk to your distributor about CompactLogix. I had a project (which went nowhere) where I was recommending a SLC. The distributor said if I knew '5000 programming the CompactLogix would be cheaper and more flexible.

Perhaps but no way they'll get me into purchasing this software for such a small job.

I need to be able to do remot monitoring and programming with modem.

I guess AB will charge me 10 million dollards for this. (maybee I'm exagerating a little).

Pierre said:
I guess AB will charge me 10 million dollards for this. (maybee I'm exagerating a little).

Absolutely - I've never been charged more than 9 million . . .

Of course - I don't know the current exchange rate with Canada so maybe you are getting a bargain!

Pierre said:

Perhaps but no way they'll get me into purchasing this software for such a small job.

I need to be able to do remot monitoring and programming with modem.

Yeah, Logix5000 is expensive. But then again, so is Logix500 which is what you would need to program a SLC or MicroLogix processor. That is unless you already have a Logix500 License.

Yap! I got that RSL500 licence.

So now the storie unfolds. My OEM client told me this afternoon that he don't only need to check on the price for an AB System... he wants them AB 'cause the End-User asked for it.

So I first called my local rep who told me I needed to talk with this guy.

Then this guy sent me to there expert... this other guy...

Who called me back to tell me to talk to this other guy...

Who toke my cell number to find the good guy...

Who called me back... fast, and told me all I needed to fax my demand to... this other guy who will be in on tuesday.

I will return ti this site with spec and comparison.

I have CPM1A and will switch to either Compactlogix or SLC in an Ethernet configuration or DH-485.

I will return later with prices and comparison... And if need be I will purchase the RSL-mini software.

Since I already have the PO, this should be interresting 👨🏻‍🏫

Pierre wrote:

"or SLC in an Ethernet configuration or DH-485."

You mentioned the 5/03 but if you go e-net you'll need to spec the 5/05.

Good luck Tuesday.

RSLogix 5000 comes in a number of "sizes". One of them is intended for programming just the CompactLogix and in $NZ it is about the same price as RSLogix500, or maybe even less. There are at least 4 different catalog numbers so you need to get the correct info on which one fits your needs. I think this is the one you want...but check:

9324-RLD200ENE RSLOGIX 5000 MINI EDITION 9324-RLD200ENE $NZ1310.00

Better still for us guys who work with this stuff all the time we can access a commercial program here in NZ that gives us a full suit of virtually ALL the RS programming tools, ie all RSLogix5/500/5000 Professional Versions, RSView32/ME/SE, RSTune, RSAutomation Desktop, etc, etc....for about US$2,200pa.

I would be 95% sure something similar is available worldwide.

Hummmm! First posted on Oct 8th.

Today, Finaly got my prices. Fair discount on ML1500 but NO DISCOUNT AT ALL ON THE 5/03.

What is it with these guys?

So we'll go with the 03 for this time, AND ONLY THIS TIME.

I told them we where considering switching from OMRON ro AB. That we needed On-line edit, that the ML was not really an option. That our clients don't have this Compacxxxxx models but that most of them have heard or already have SLCs.

Here they come. No discount on 5/03.

How do say eat **** with emoticons?