PDA

View Full Version : I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 06:27 PM
how do I share a snapshot of my new laptop specs?

dmroeder
November 30th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Just use your fingers and type them

daba
November 30th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Soooo, you have new specs to see your laptop, that's great !!

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 07:45 PM
lenovo P5
I7 gen 6
windows 7 pro
256 gig PCIe-NVMe SSD (can just keep adding these)
16 gigs ram upgradable to 64gigs
4 external monitors at the same time
OMG, latest hardware on windows 7 for only $1250

Ken Roach
November 30th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Nice !

Even a 256 GB hard drive gets full fast.

How do you add SSDs to that model ?

I had a Dell Latitude that would let you put a cradle into the optical bay for a hard drive, and I put a 512 GB SSD in there. Blazing fast way to run virtual machines.

daba
November 30th, 2016, 07:57 PM
didn't see that coming....

perhaps i need new specs. :dance:

daba
November 30th, 2016, 08:01 PM
What's the lifetime on these SSD drives ?

I always understood flash memory had a limited read/write lifetime, if I remember correctly it was something like 10,000 writes.

Perhaps technology has overtaken my knowledge........

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 08:06 PM
apparently, you just take the back off and clip up to 3 more in.

Life?

Pretty sure this one will outlast me drinking.

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 08:07 PM
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:ShowCart

Ken Roach
November 30th, 2016, 08:09 PM
The quality of the NAND Flash memory devices in an SSD is typically a lot higher than that used in a USB drive or CompactFlash card, and modern operating systems have gotten a lot better about leveling out and reducing the write operations to SSDs.

Some estimates figure you can get 8 to 12 years out of a modern SSD.

I've never had an SSD fail, but I've had a handful of older CompactFlash systems fail. In fact, one of my 5 year old PV+ that does intensive logging just went toes-up.

And of course I've been in places where failed rotating hard drives pile up like cordwood. Give me a limited-life SSD over a fragile HDD any day.

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 08:11 PM
The quality of the NAND Flash memory devices in an SSD is typically a lot higher than that used in a USB drive or CompactFlash card, and modern operating systems have gotten a lot better about leveling out and reducing the write operations to SSDs.

I've never had an SSD fail, but I've had a handful of older CompactFlash systems fail. In fact, one of my 5 year old PV+ that does intensive logging just went toes-up.

And of course I've been in places where failed rotating hard drives pile up like cordwood. Give me a limited-life SSD over a fragile HDD any day.

ech um, Ken Roach. Point me to one post where he wasn't spot on. just saying.

And know I'm not a but kisser, but it is Ken Roach.

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 08:13 PM
ok, maybe I did a little bit of but licking, but at least I was picky.

daba
November 30th, 2016, 08:53 PM

Some disconcerting phrases used there....

"typically" "have gotten a lot better" - to be honest not high recommendations....

"Some estimates" "figure" "can get" - I'd like to see hard facts and figures....

"failed rotating hard drives" - I've never had a failure yet, I've bought a couple of dud ones, but not had a working one fail on me... I'll probably choke on those words, it's called "Murphy's Law". The law is invoked as soon as you say anything to disprove it....

Epy
November 30th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Give me a limited-life SSD over a fragile HDD any day.

+1 to this, plus SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper nowadays. Worth any extra money for the extra speed/responsiveness.

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 09:00 PM

"typically" "have gotten a lot better" - to be honest not high recommendations....

"Some estimates" "figure" "can get" - I'd like to see hard facts and figures....

"failed rotating hard drives" - I've never had a failure yet, I've bought a couple of dud ones, but not had a working one fail on me... I'll probably choke on those words, it's called "Murphy's Law". The law is invoked as soon as you say anything to disprove it....

Difficult to prove a positive, but I lost all of me music from an external Seagate hard drive.

Probably serves me right. Anyone else remember the russian web site all of mp3.com?

brendan.buchan
November 30th, 2016, 09:01 PM
apparently, you just take the back off and clip up to 3 more in.

Life?

Just be careful with this. We use Lenovo P50's and found out the hard way that it is near impossible to order the M.2 SSD trays as an accessory to add 3rd party SSD's.

If you're planning on adding an SSD make sure you check first to see if there are any spare trays inside your laptop already (unlikely) and be prepared to wait 4-6 weeks to order one in from a Lenovo spare parts supplier (Lenovo themselves couldn't even order it for us down here in Aus!). Might be easier to get a hold of in the US of course.

I've added 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD's along side the standard 256GB SSD's on all of our P50's.

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 09:03 PM
+1 to this, plus SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper nowadays. Worth any extra money for the extra speed/responsiveness.

seeing you quote that never gets old.

It makes my bipolar depressive self loathing arse smile.

thank you for that.

ganutenator
November 30th, 2016, 10:27 PM
the fact that I can order the latest hardware w/ windows 7 pro, I should just order like 5 of these.

Jeebs
December 1st, 2016, 07:30 AM

I always understood flash memory had a limited read/write lifetime, if I remember correctly it was something like 10,000 writes.

Perhaps technology has overtaken my knowledge........

It still has a limited nr or writes, but you probably won't notice it.

These people asked the same question. (http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes)

I have 2 SSD's, my OS SSD has had a total of 1.14TB written over a period of +2 years. My games SSD has had a total of 3.8TB written in just under 2 years.

Just.....just don't use the defrag tool.

nhatsen
December 1st, 2016, 09:47 AM
And more information from the same people (techreport):

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

rootboy
December 1st, 2016, 11:32 AM
Mine's somewhat of a slouch:

Asus G751JT
Intel Core I7-4710HQ Processor (2.5GHz, turbo to 3.5Ghz)
32GB RAM
2 x 1TB SATA (7200rpm) + 8GB Hybrid HDD
17.3-inch anti-glare IPS Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5 8GB VRAM

But it gets me by...

ELake20
December 1st, 2016, 11:55 AM

Cool story

You are seriously missing the boat on the SSD speed increase alone.

I still have a Dell E6500 that was my daily rig. 128gb samsung drive purchased new from Dell back in 2011/2012 timeframe. Windows 7 x86 OS and it's still going strong.

The SSDs are plenty reliable. You are a fool if you aren't getting one in any new laptop purchase

geniusintraining
December 1st, 2016, 12:28 PM

Thats a lot of drinking :beer:

Archie
December 1st, 2016, 01:08 PM
lenovo P5
I7 gen 6
I was just recently looking at the Lenovo laptops and trying to figure out if they accept (2) NVMe M.2 drives at PCIe 4x, but had to stop looking before I found the answer. Do you know if your new laptop supports it?

I'm running 2 NVMe drives on my desktop in a RAID configuration and getting boot times of less than 10 seconds. A disk speed test is showing over 2500MB/s for both read and write, which is almost 7x the speed of my SATA SSD in my laptop.

NetNathan
December 1st, 2016, 02:17 PM
Just upgraded my Dell Precision M6800 laptop (with an I7 Core) to support running multiple VMs.
Added a 1TB SSD to my existing 500GB SSHD.
Upgraded ram from 8GB to 24GB.

Runs like a champ again...like when it was new.

I usually use Dell XE2 pcs at customer locations.
Oddly enough I have had 3 SSHD failures on these pcs....out of about 24 of the Dell XE2 units in the field.
All these failures happened at the same location (?) and pc is on UPS.
I am a little confused on these early failures (less than 2 years).
So I am little worried about the SSHD.
I could not mount any of the bad drives as a USB drive to recover data. I usually could do this with regular Hard Disks with bad boot manager.

VAN
December 1st, 2016, 02:27 PM
the fact that I can order the latest hardware w/ windows 7 pro, I should just order like 5 of these.

Out of curiousity what made you go with Win 7 Pro?

NetNathan
December 1st, 2016, 04:26 PM

These people asked the same question. (http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes)

I have 2 SSD's, my OS SSD has had a total of 1.14TB written over a period of +2 years. My games SSD has had a total of 3.8TB written in just under 2 years.

Don't defrag an SSD? Or is it because of the size and how long it may take?

keshik
December 1st, 2016, 04:29 PM
Don't defrag an SSD? Or is it because of the size and how long it may take?

Defrag does a lot of write cycles to the SSD, which has the potential of reducing the life span of the drive.

NetNathan
December 1st, 2016, 04:37 PM
I just found that out all the reads and writes will shorten life of disk.....Apparently there is a "Trim" command you can use instead.
Here is some info...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html

PCWorld SSD Maintenance..
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2110095/the-ultimate-guide-to-proper-ssd-management.html

Info on TRIM command...
from Wikiopedia
A trim command (known as TRIM in the ATA command set, and UNMAP in the SCSI command set) allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally.[1]
Trim was introduced soon after SSDs were introduced. Because low-level operation of SSDs differs significantly from hard drives, the typical way in which operating systems handle operations like deletes and formats resulted in unanticipated progressive performance degradation of write operations on SSDs.[2] Trimming enables the SSD to more efficiently handle garbage collection, which would otherwise slow future write operations to the involved blocks.[3]
Although tools to "reset" some drives to a fresh state were already available before the introduction of trimming, they also delete all data on the drive, which makes them impractical to use for ongoing optimization.[4] By 2014, many SSDs had internal background garbage collection mechanisms that worked independently of trimming. Although this successfully maintained their performance even under operating systems that did not support trim, it had the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells.[5]

BachPhi
December 1st, 2016, 05:28 PM
lenovo P5

Is it a laptop? How easy is it to add another piece?

"Keep adding" ?? Seriously?

cjd1965
December 1st, 2016, 05:29 PM
Hi I realsie we all have our own experiences but I had a bad experience with Lenovo despite having 3yr warranty with accidental cover. I have gone back to Dell Lattitude and never looked back

And SSD is a must

ganutenator
December 1st, 2016, 05:38 PM
Mine's somewhat of a slouch:

Asus G751JT
Intel Core I7-4710HQ Processor (2.5GHz, turbo to 3.5Ghz)
32GB RAM
2 x 1TB SATA (7200rpm) + 8GB Hybrid HDD
17.3-inch anti-glare IPS Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5 8GB VRAM

But it gets me by...

That does not sound like a slouch.

My samsung I7 series 2nd gen was fast enough for me once I swapped in an SSD. Samsung drivers sucked. Never went into turbo, ran hot, and sucked at switching to the faster video card. Spent 2k on it and the video card went out on it two months ago. Only lasted 2 years. So, 1k a year for that shyt. I will never ever buy another Samsung product.

I'm currently running a refurbished think pad T420 that I got off of Tiger Direct to get me buy until I had the funds to get a good one.

But I fell in love w/ the quality, mouses, keyboard, light, sound volume, build quality et al.

Which is why I am so so excited.

I feel like a kid 5 days before Christmas.

Dang it, hating on myself now for not going w/ the express shipping.

dang

dang dang

ganutenator
December 1st, 2016, 05:40 PM

One thing I read is that the manufacturers include extra memory that it then switches to. So you get a 256gig and it is really a 512gig hence doubling the life of the drive.

ganutenator
December 1st, 2016, 05:46 PM
I was just recently looking at the Lenovo laptops and trying to figure out if they accept (2) NVMe M.2 drives at PCIe 4x, but had to stop looking before I found the answer. Do you know if your new laptop supports it?

I'm running 2 NVMe drives on my desktop in a RAID configuration and getting boot times of less than 10 seconds. A disk speed test is showing over 2500MB/s for both read and write, which is almost 7x the speed of my SATA SSD in my laptop.

I opted for only 1 PCIe-NVME Opal 2.0. ($90 upgrade)

I clicked to see how much to add another one. (an additional $300). I chose not to do this now. Hoping to do this later when the price drops, and get my Virtual Box game back on.

Not sure if 2 is the limit. I read that the P70 had 4 PCIe slots.

ganutenator
December 1st, 2016, 05:48 PM

I didn't opt for Raid 0 or Raid 1 option.

Did I screw up?

ganutenator
December 1st, 2016, 05:50 PM

What disk speed test software do you recommend?

I would love to run it when I get my new puter, and run it on my customer's computer for a beer bet. He has a Samsung, grrr.

ganutenator
December 1st, 2016, 05:55 PM
Is it a laptop? How easy is it to add another piece?

"Keep adding" ?? Seriously?

Four on the P70 (2" wasn't worth the extra $400 'that's what she said')

I think 2 total on the P50 but I'm not 100% on that.

The fact that you had to ask if it was laptop after reading the specs [insert quote from tv show Home Improvement] makes me happy. yup, this laptop is gonna be so bad arse.

geniusintraining
December 1st, 2016, 06:04 PM
I didn't opt for Raid 0 or Raid 1 option.

Did I screw up?

I have one of these on my network... its 4TB and 4TB RAID, every time I plug into the network I have the files update and backup, I also keep a image on the network, well a few of them make a image when you add major software and you can also backup VM's, it was only about 350.00 for the setup and I have more storage then I will need for awhile

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/linkstation-400-series

ganutenator
December 1st, 2016, 06:46 PM
I have one of these on my network... its 4TB and 4TB RAID, every time I plug into the network I have the files update and backup, I also keep a image on the network, well a few of them make a image when you add major software and you can also backup VM's, it was only about 350.00 for the setup and I have more storage then I will need for awhile

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/linkstation-400-series

Raid 0 or Raid 1?

When the first one fails, won't it just copy the bad sectors over to the backup?

Geoff White
December 2nd, 2016, 01:34 AM
There is no need for raid 0 with SSDs. You will run out of bandwidth and you double your risk of failure. If you want to go full retard then go raid 10.

Just back up your data and VMs.

In the early days there were plenty of SSDs failing (OCZ!). Not so much now.

And for me the biggest risk to a disk is me dropping my laptop which I have several times with my current laptop over the last 4 years with only cosmetic damage.

Archie
December 2nd, 2016, 06:34 AM
What disk speed test software do you recommend?

I would love to run it when I get my new puter, and run it on my customer's computer for a beer bet. He has a Samsung, grrr.My favorite comes packaged with another software package as a side utility. You can get it for free, but you will also get all the other software along with it. It is the Desktop Video software in this download section:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

As for RAID, on my desktop I use RAID0 for the speed because it allows me to record dual uncompressed HD video feeds, which requires massive bandwidth. That drive setup is only for my OS disk and temporary data storage. I do not recommend RAID0 for critical storage if you do not backup daily. In fact my first motherboard decided to delete the RAID configuration 3 times which made all of the data inaccessible and required a complete OS re-install. Needless to say I went with another motherboard.

RAID1 is expensive and I never had a need for it with SSDs because I have yet to have a failure and I do regular backups. Of course there will one day be a first time for everything, so I keep my self covered with backups.

rootboy
December 3rd, 2016, 10:56 AM
That does not sound like a slouch.

Thanks!, I get the "Nice laptop" pretty often. :)

It was the best that Electronics Express had that day, and I was heading out of town and I had had enough of the company provided laptop. So...

I saw Archie's post about the NVMe M.2 drive, and my laptop has the connector for it but no adapter. So I'm thinking of getting a drive and then printing up the mounting hardware for it. Should work...

But I fell in love w/ the quality, mouses, keyboard, light, sound volume, build quality et al.

Which is why I am so so excited.

I feel like a kid 5 days before Christmas.

Dang it, hating on myself now for not going w/ the express shipping.

dang

dang dang

I know how you feel, I have a couple of Amiga 2000's coming. I got them off of eBay for a song since they were local pickup only. My son lives in the same city, so he picked them up for me and should be shipping them out to me today. I'm doing a job in Mississippi, so I won't see them for a week or so. Can't wait to see my new toys. :)

I also have a beeb (a Acorn BBC Micro Model B) coming in from across the pond as well as a MSX power adapter from Japan.

ganutenator
December 3rd, 2016, 12:03 PM
On the flip side, remember the good old days.
When compiling a program meant a cigarette break?

rootboy
December 3rd, 2016, 12:14 PM
On the flip side, remember the good old days.
When compiling a program meant a cigarette break?

Oh, depending on the hardware that I'm using at the time, it could easily be a half-pack. :)

DwSoFt
December 3rd, 2016, 06:27 PM
I went to leveno selected canada and a p50 with a 1tb ssd pci was 2400 canadian. 1000 off. Not bad. Just waiting for year end on my business and then I'm. Buying a new laptop. My current dell has been decent. But freezes and lags now. Lol

My biggest thing for a laptop is I want ssd. And 500gb isn't big enough

ganutenator
December 5th, 2016, 02:23 PM
I went to leveno selected canada and a p50 with a 1tb ssd pci was 2400 canadian. 1000 off. Not bad. Just waiting for year end on my business and then I'm. Buying a new laptop. My current dell has been decent. But freezes and lags now. Lol

My biggest thing for a laptop is I want ssd. And 500gb isn't big enough

FYI: I almost missed where I had to select the optional back lit keyboard option for $10.

DwSoFt
December 5th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Funny you mentioned that. I seen that and think that's awesome. But it says it's 40cad... hmmm

ganutenator
December 5th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Funny you mentioned that. I seen that and think that's awesome. But it says it's 40cad... hmmm

My final configured price was like $1100 after coupon code. Obviously I have to buy additional hard drive space in the future.

ganutenator
December 5th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I ordered it Dec 1st and it isn't scheduled to arrive until Dec 27th.

Archie
December 8th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I spent 3 days researching the P50 to ensure it would work with the SSD drive configuration I had planned to use. Last night I decided to make the purchase when I got up today. Low and behold I missed an important detail. The laptop I configured last night was priced at $1584. Now suddenly today the exact same laptop is $2037. Apparently there was a 35% off limited time offer that I failed to notice that expired December 7th. Looks like back to research!

janner_10
December 8th, 2016, 09:08 AM
When I configured mine through the Lenovo site, they were grossly over charging for the SSD.

Cheaper to go with the normal drive and purchase an SSD from Amazon and do the swap yourself.

Archie
December 8th, 2016, 09:25 AM
When I configured mine through the Lenovo site, they were grossly over charging for the SSD.

Cheaper to go with the normal drive and purchase an SSD from Amazon and do the swap yourself.My plan was to order with a single SATA SSD, then next week order 2 of the Samsung 960 Pro when they were released to install in RAID 0 configuration. The idea was the OS being on the NVMe RAID for the speed, then use the SATA for my data files. It all was only going to be about $2200, but now the 35% off is over, the price is no longer enticing to me.

ganutenator
December 8th, 2016, 04:22 PM
My plan was to order with a single SATA SSD, then next week order 2 of the Samsung 960 Pro when they were released to install in RAID 0 configuration. The idea was the OS being on the NVMe RAID for the speed, then use the SATA for my data files. It all was only going to be about $2200, but now the 35% off is over, the price is no longer enticing to me.

I wish I kept the hard drive. Heard it is difficult to get the hard drive caddy for mounting.

Someone said that if you don't order it w/ raid off the get go, than the bios doesn't support raid, but I don't know how accurate that is. I would like to believe that you could update the bios.

Curious as to your reasons for wanting Raid. I have limited knowledge here.

ganutenator
December 8th, 2016, 05:03 PM

yup, it's 40 US now too.

Guess the special is over.

Lucky me. My same configuration is $500 more now.

Only complaint is that it said it would ship in 5 to 7 days. Why 27 days?
Because I added a PCI-NVME hard drive?

Archie
December 10th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I wish I kept the hard drive. Heard it is difficult to get the hard drive caddy for mounting.

Someone said that if you don't order it w/ raid off the get go, than the bios doesn't support raid, but I don't know how accurate that is. I would like to believe that you could update the bios.

Curious as to your reasons for wanting Raid. I have limited knowledge here.From my research, I understand when the P50 was first released, it had to be configured for RAID from the factory. But now the latest BIOS allows you to configure RAID afterwards.

The M.2 drive holders are available from the Lenovo web site for about $9USD.

The idea of running RAID0 is shear speed. It splits the data amongst multiple drives. If you have 2 drives, then you can think of it as half the bits on one drive and the other half on the other drive. This in effect allows 2 bits to be read simultaneously potentially doubling your transfer rate.

To give some estimated numbers and don't hold me to these because it will vary widely based on other factors, but a SSD on SATA may give about 500MB/s speed. An NVMe hard drive can give 1500MB/s. Take 2 NVMe drives in RAID0, then you could approach 3000MB/s

There is a risk with RAID0. If one drive fails or something happens with the RAID configuration, you lose everything. My plan was to use 2 NVMe drives in a RAID0 configuration only for the operating system and software. These things are reloadable in the event of a failure. Then I had planned on a SATA SSD drive for my data. This configuration gives maximum speed without increasing risk of losing data. In any case, backups are always important.

Archie
December 10th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I found this on the Samsung web site giving some of their numbers on the various hard drive configurations:

"For a real-world feel, a recent demo showed a new laptop in four versions a single 2.5-inch 7200 RPM HDD, a single 2.5-inch SATA SSD, a single M.2 PCIe 4x drive and two M.2 PCIe 4x drives configured in RAID 0.
Boot times were
1:32 for the HDD,
0:36 for the SATA SSD,
0:09 for the single M.2 PCIe drive,
0:05 for the two M.2 PCIe drives in RAID 0.

Opening a large (25GB) file in Photoshop went from
0:48 for the HDD, to
0:16 with one SSD, to
0:04 for the single M.2, and finally to
0:02 for the dual M.2 drives. "

ganutenator
December 10th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I found this on the Samsung web site giving some of their numbers on the various hard drive configurations:

"For a real-world feel, a recent demo showed a new laptop in four versions — a single 2.5-inch 7200 RPM HDD, a single 2.5-inch SATA SSD, a single M.2 PCIe 4x drive and two M.2 PCIe 4x drives configured in RAID 0.
Boot times were
1:32 for the HDD,
0:36 for the SATA SSD,
0:09 for the single M.2 PCIe drive,
0:05 for the two M.2 PCIe drives in RAID 0.

Opening a large (25GB) file in Photoshop went from
0:48 for the HDD, to
0:16 with one SSD, to
0:04 for the single M.2, and finally to
0:02 for the dual M.2 drives. "

thank you, that is awesome info.

Only 10 more days until mine ships. Then up to 7 days after that.

I only got the M.2 single (lack o funds), but those numbers still make me excited.

ganutenator
December 10th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Next, I am looking into running an external gpu when I'm docked.

Archie
January 25th, 2017, 06:41 PM
After getting lucky to catch the good sale price on the Lenovo P50 and a long wait to get the SSDs and brackets, I finally got my new system.

As for the question of whether the RAID can only be configured at the factory, it did let me install two M.2 drives and set them up as RAID 0 through the BIOS.

My final configuration uses the M.2 drives in RAID 0 for the system disk and an additional 2.5" SATA drive for a data disk. The response is quite impressive. From the point I press the power button until the login screen comes up is less than 8 seconds. I ran a CrystalDiskMark test and it topped out at 3188 MB/s sequential read. Compare that to less than 600 on the SATA drive.

Next I'll see what difference it makes for things like starting up RSLogix.

ganutenator
January 26th, 2017, 06:51 AM
my only complaint is with the finger print reader. some times it won't let me log in after booting.

Archie
January 26th, 2017, 07:12 AM
my only complaint is with the finger print reader. some times it won't let me log in after booting.I have that same problem. It seems to be quite finicky. I was disappointed the camera didn't support the facial recognition feature of Windows 10.

ganutenator
January 26th, 2017, 07:16 AM
another complaint:
it boots too fast. i used to take my cigarette break there

brendan.buchan
January 26th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Amazing speeds, although I am not certain I would be game enough to run RAID0 on my programming laptop. I hope you have some sort of system image recovery solution ready to go.

I need to buy another P50 for one of my programmers but it seems Lenovo AU has put the price up ever since the launch of the P50s. I was getting them configured with 16GB ram and SSD for close to $3K AUD but it now seems the base model is starting at $3.9K on their web site. :smas:

Archie
January 26th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Amazing speeds, although I am not certain I would be game enough to run RAID0 on my programming laptop. I hope you have some sort of system image recovery solution ready to go.I weighed out the risk and decided the reliability I've experienced from SSDs has given me enough confidence to run my system disk in RAID. However I'm not confident enough to keep my data on it. I installed the single SATA SSD drive that is dedicated to storing all my work files.

DwSoFt
January 26th, 2017, 08:22 PM
i just got my new laptop.
was looking at levono and dell, but then found a sick deal on a dell on amazon

Precision m5510
I7-6820
32gb ram
1tb SSD NVMe