I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

Soooo, you have new specs to see your laptop, that's great !!

specs.jpg

lenovo P5
I7 gen 6
windows 7 pro
256 gig PCIe-NVMe SSD (can just keep adding these)
16 gigs ram upgradable to 64gigs
4 external monitors at the same time
OMG, latest hardware on windows 7 for only $1250

Nice !

Even a 256 GB hard drive gets full fast.

How do you add SSDs to that model ?

I had a Dell Latitude that would let you put a cradle into the optical bay for a hard drive, and I put a 512 GB SSD in there. Blazing fast way to run virtual machines.

What's the lifetime on these SSD drives ?

I always understood flash memory had a limited read/write lifetime, if I remember correctly it was something like 10,000 writes.

Perhaps technology has overtaken my knowledge........

apparently, you just take the back off and clip up to 3 more in.

Life?

Pretty sure this one will outlast me drinking.

The quality of the NAND Flash memory devices in an SSD is typically a lot higher than that used in a USB drive or CompactFlash card, and modern operating systems have gotten a lot better about leveling out and reducing the write operations to SSDs.

Some estimates figure you can get 8 to 12 years out of a modern SSD.

I've never had an SSD fail, but I've had a handful of older CompactFlash systems fail. In fact, one of my 5 year old PV+ that does intensive logging just went toes-up.

And of course I've been in places where failed rotating hard drives pile up like cordwood. Give me a limited-life SSD over a fragile HDD any day.

The quality of the NAND Flash memory devices in an SSD is typically a lot higher than that used in a USB drive or CompactFlash card, and modern operating systems have gotten a lot better about leveling out and reducing the write operations to SSDs.

I've never had an SSD fail, but I've had a handful of older CompactFlash systems fail. In fact, one of my 5 year old PV+ that does intensive logging just went toes-up.

And of course I've been in places where failed rotating hard drives pile up like cordwood. Give me a limited-life SSD over a fragile HDD any day.

ech um, Ken Roach. Point me to one post where he wasn't spot on. just saying.

And know I'm not a but kisser, but it is Ken Roach.

Some disconcerting phrases used there....

"typically" "have gotten a lot better" - to be honest not high recommendations....

"Some estimates" "figure" "can get" - I'd like to see hard facts and figures....

"
failed rotating hard drives" - I've never had a failure yet, I've bought a couple of dud ones, but not had a working one fail on me... I'll probably choke on those words, it's called "Murphy's Law". The law is invoked as soon as you say anything to disprove it....

Some disconcerting phrases used there....

"typically" "have gotten a lot better" - to be honest not high recommendations....

"Some estimates" "figure" "can get" - I'd like to see hard facts and figures....

"
failed rotating hard drives" - I've never had a failure yet, I've bought a couple of dud ones, but not had a working one fail on me... I'll probably choke on those words, it's called "Murphy's Law". The law is invoked as soon as you say anything to disprove it....

Difficult to prove a positive, but I lost all of me music from an external Seagate hard drive.

Probably serves me right. Anyone else remember the russian web site all of mp3.com?