Plc 5

fred

I need to make some changes to a AB PLC 5/25.

What software do I need ?

Is the software ok with WinXP Pro ?

Will the software be ok for o program that was written 12 yrs ago ?

What cables ?

Best place to get in the uk ?

Many thanks for any help

Fred

I run 5/15's and I am a big fan of RSLogix 5. It will run with Windows XP, however Rockwell does not reccomend installing SP2. It will only work with SP1.

It can read the old program but will return limited information ie. device names and comments will obviously not be there. You'll have download the program into the pc and almost reverse engineer it. It would be easier if you have a hard copy of the original program and just reprogram the database in rslogix.

All you should need to connect the pc is a standard serial cable.

Contact Rockwell Software UK and they'll be able to give you more specific information.

Rockwell Automation UK HQ - Southern Sales Office

Pitfield, Tel: 01908 838892
Kiln Farm, Fax: 01908 838885
Milton Keynes,

MK11 3DR

Rockwell Automation - Northern Sales Office

Rockwell House, Tel: 01270 508808
Gateway, Fax: 01270 508807
Crewe,

CW1 6XN

That should help out a bit!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news ... but ...

Greetings Fred,

with apologies to NCPLC ...

All you should need to connect the pc is a standard serial cable.

sorry but I don't think that this is correct ... the PLC-5/25 is an older "classic" style processor ... it has no built-in RS-232 communication port like the newer "enhanced" model processors ... therefore ... you will need access through a DH+ (Data Highway Plus) communication link in order to program this processor ... unfortunately this can be a lot more expensive than just a simple serial cable ... if you have a laptop computer with a PCMCIA slot, then start your research for a 1784-PCMK card and a cable to match ... for a desktop computer, start looking for things like a 1784-KTX or 1784-PKTX card ... another common communication route (for any type of computer with a serial port) is to use a 1770-KF2 adapter ... and there are MANY other types of hardware which might also work ... but unfortunately a simple serial cable is not one of them ... many people are confused by the DB9 connector on the front of the processor ... this certainly LOOKS LIKE a common RS-232 serial connection ... but it is not ... specifically, only DH+ will work through the DB9 connector ...

most of the parts mentioned above are available on e-bay and can be researched here:

Communication Networks Library

if you'll post more information about the details of your hardware, we'll be glad to try to help you out ... the better the details - the more help we'll be able to provide ...

notes to NCPLC:

my guess is that you know the PLC-5/15 (with which you are familiar) to be an older "classic" style processor ... specifically, it requires a DH+ connection for communications ... more specifically, a simple serial cable will NOT work ...

probably you also know that the "higher numbered" PLC-5/20 is a newer "enhanced" style processor ... this one CAN use a simple serial cable for communications ...

I'll bet that you naturally assumed that the even "higher numbered" PLC-5/25 would also logically be an "enhanced" style processor ... unfortunately that would be an incorrect assumption ... for some unknown reason, Allen-Bradley skipped around with the numbering system ... even though the PLC-5/25 has a higher model number than the "enhanced" PLC-5/20, the PLC-5/25 is still an older "classic" style processor ...

so how close did I come with my guess? ... if I'm right, then take heart ... you are certainly not the first to be confused by this ...

Last edited:
Touche Ron! And my appologies, I did make this assumption! My BAD. Sorry for any misinformation, but in my defence i did say to contact the dealer for more information!