ControlNet between a non-AB PLC and a remote AB module

Salman S.

Does anyone know if its possible for a Non-Allen Bradley controller to acquire IO data from a module in an Allen Bradley remote rack (lets say a modbus module in CLX), via ControlNet?

As always, any help is much appreciated. 🤾

Additional info: I don't have the required hardware to test the setup, so its more of a question of validity.

Last edited:
I cannot say with certainty, but usually anything that requires communication across the backplane would be AB only.

Since we aren't doing specific hardware in this scenario, I would guess that what ever PLC was chosen would be able to communicate with an AB PLC in the rack. And that AB PLC would be able to be used to pass the data from the card on the backplane?

Or is this a hypothetical where no AB Plc exists and you would be attempting to use an AB backplane with the controlnet bridge and modbus comm card?

I don't have the hardware, but it is an actual setup proposition.

The hardware involves a Honeywell C200 communicating with an AB chassis(no controller) with a CNET card and a 1756-MNET card.

So essentially is it possible to pull data using Honeywell C200 from the remote MNET card? The data path will basically be:

MNET card --> backplane --> CNET card ---> CNET ---> Honeywell C200.

I know that GE, at one point, made an AB IO interface module for Series 90 PLCs. I think that it was for a Blue Hose Remote IO interface. I would imagine that there are still some third party interfaces for AB IO, although I haven't personally encountered one recently.