single phase motor current imbalance and overload

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
Single phase 120/208-240V motor.

L1-L2 Voltage = 215
L1 Amp=7.5 (close to nameplate)
L2 Amp=13.7

Motor is tripping overload, motor case is hot to touch.

Any guess as to issue with motor? Could it be the capacitor? If not capacitor, I'm guessing that L2 is partially shorting to ground.

It's time for a new motor. My guess that some of the windings have shorted out to other windings on the L2 side.

Single phase 120/208-240V motor.

L1-L2 Voltage = 215
L1 Amp=7.5 (close to nameplate)
L2 Amp=13.7

Motor is tripping overload, motor case is hot to touch.

Any guess as to issue with motor? Could it be the capacitor? If not capacitor, I'm guessing that L2 is partially shorting to ground.

Only a ground fault could explain a current imbalance between L1 and L2 in a single phase motor. Otherwise, you'd be violating Ohm's Law, and that could land you in a heap of trouble. ;)