Solid State Relays

G
I AM SORRY IF THIS MAY BE A LITTLE OFF TOPIC BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE MAKES SOLID STATE RELAYS THAT ARE NORMALY CLOSED. I HAVE SEARCHED A NUMBER OF SUPPLIERS WEB SITES BUT HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM EVEN DESCRIBED AS NORMALY CLOSED. ANY INSIGHTS?
THANK YOU

That true I never saw NC solid srate relay.
From the other hand you can in most cases work in reverse logic.
Usually SSR operated from controlers which can work both direction.

I guess we are talking about different things.
Opto Coupler is type of solid state relay. I dont know if that what our guest looking for.
I thought more about real SSR.

RELAYS

Thank you all so much for your responses. Very helpfull. I was begining to wonder if any such animal existed. Thanks once again!!!

NC solid state relays

When I last used a lot of SSRs in the early 1990's, I used the N.O. style (I was unaware of a N.C. style) and the biggest problem with them was that a common failure mode was for the SSR to fail in the 'on' or conducting state, where the control signal could not turn the SSR off (or the absence of the control signal would mean the SSR was still conducting).

So we always had to stick a mechanical relay in series to make sure the final control could be turned off or interrupted.

Anyone know if SSR technology has changed so that an SSR will fail open?

Dan

ive had the exact opposite experience,,if always had them fail on closing,,(i say always,,its only been a few times),,ive attributed it to what i know about transistors and their biasing,,so im curious to see what others have experienced,,

i do know that video jets ( cant remember which series) use battery power(9v regular square battery),,to power up their SSR inorder to get the machine going,,i saw someone changing out the main board on one machine when i told him to change the battery first,,he thought i was nuts,,but explained the logic,,and sure enough,,he was up and going,,and it became part of our pm to change batteries in all our video jets every 6 months,,

Fred Raud

PS,,i still havent figured out why videojet made their machines this way,,,so if someone could fill me in,,that would be great,,