Dell notebook AC adapter recall

Contr_Conn

I think this will be important, as most of us own laptop:

Dell notebook AC adapter recall:

Dell notebook adapters recalled:
Dell Inc is recalling about 990,000 AC adapters used with notebook personal computers because they can overheat and cause a fire and electrical shock hazard, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said. The adapters are used with... Latitude, Precision and Inspiron notebook-style personal computers. The computers have model numbers either screened onto the surface of the computer or on a printed label on the bottom of the computer, listed on Dell's website: http://www.delladapterprogram.com . The recalled adapters have the words"DELL" and "P/N 9364U", "P/N 7832D" or "P/N 4983D" printed on the back.

Potentially affected adapters were sold with the following models of Dell notebook computers:
Latitude CP, CPi, CPiA, CPtC, CPiR, CPxH, CPtV, CS, CSx, CPxJ, CPtS, C500, C510, C540, C600, C610, C800, C805, C810, V700, C-Dock, C-Port
Inspiron 2500, 2600, 3700, 3800, 4000, 4100, 4150, 5000, 5000E, 7500, 7550, 8000, 8100, Advanced Port Replicator, Docking Station
Precision M40

To determine whether your adapter is affected by this issue, you should go to the site and enter your adapter PPID number.

steve.jpg

"Dude, you're gettin' a Dell FIRE!"... lolis

Glad I bought a Compaq, though its power supply gets awfully hot as well... utoh

Thanks for the heads-up. A few guys I work with have Dells. I'll pass along this info... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

I checked my Dell C840 laptop adapter its over then 50 C degree.
and never go on fire YET.
Maybe that the reason the battery die last week.

Just want to bring it up for people who missed this over weekend.

Checked my adapter - not in recall - made by different supplier.

Hmm, got two of these recalled ones. Just got a new laptop though so now they are IT's problem. Used them for 3 years with no problem, one of them is pretty much plugged in all the time and has yet to explode.

My new laptop is a Dell Latitude D505 with XP. No software problems yet and the thing is way faster than my old one. We'll see if I go through 4 Hard Drives like I did on the last one.

My company uses Dell so I get a Dell. IBM's don't usually come with Serial Ports anymore anyway. This Dell still did and as long as they don't use the crappy IBM harddrives that was in my old one I bet I will be ok.

I would take this recall pretty seriously. About two years ago, I was sitting at home in my easy chair with my Inspiron 8000 in my lap. Suddenly, I smelled something burning, and found that the power adapter was literally on fire (it was coming out of the end where the 120v goes in). I called Dell and they replaced it, but at the time I assured them that I hadn't damaged the adapter in any way, and that they should probably look into this. Evidently, this has happened to more people.

Since then, I always make sure it's unplugged before I leave the house. It's just too scary.