ACS 800 ABB Cabinet Built

NR16

Hi Everybody

I hope someone could clarify me on this issue.

We have an ACS 800 ABB Drive (cabinet built) for 400 kW motor. When it is powered only, there is a transformer Trafomic TNR 26492 that smells (like burning).

I would like to know for what purpose is this transformer.

If it operates for 10 mins, we get alarm ACS 800 temp i.e. IGBT overheat.

Can someone suggest what test and action may be required

Thanking you beforehand.

I believe these transformers were used to run the enclosure cooling fans for the drive. They are a multi-tap input variety and I think they put out 240V single phase. Sorry, its been a while since I worked on one of these drives.
I will tell you that the enclosure cooling fans are very important to this drives (3) IGBT Power modules. The main squirrel cage blower is mounted in the bottom and blows up through the IGBT's and out the top or front of the enclosure. If they don't work you will get the temp warning and if you let it go too long bye bye IGBT.
I don't think they make this drive anymore and parts are hard to come by. A good replacement is the Altivar series drives from Schneider electric.
Good luck my friend.

I agree with the transformer/fan comments of splicer. But the ACS800 is still available, parts are not hard to find, and most definitely no Altivar drive is a good replacement.

In fact, only the best AB and Mitsubishi vector drives could be described as "a good replacement". ABB also makes newer versions of the ACS800 (Direct Torque Control) drive. I believe they are the ACS850 and ACS880 series.

Sorry, but, In my opinion, no Altivar drive comes close to the torque and speed performance of the ACS800 unless you want to install a decoder on the motor and run in Closed Loop Vector mode. The ACS800 and its newer relatives will equal or exceed the Altivar offerings without an encoder in nearly every application I've dealt with.