Powerflex 700H Comms Problems Via 22-Comm-E

mschneider

So, the background to this issue is yesterday this VFD got a cooling fan fault, every fan inside was working properly and was clean. We have no spare parts for this VFD, so I started looking into the program manual and found that this fault can be turned into an alarm if I upgrade from firmware 5 to 6.001. So, in order to keep the VFD operational for the plant until we figure out what parts we need to fix the cooling fan fault I did the upgrade. Basically the only information that the PLC 'consumes from and produces to' is it outputs CommandSpeed and Recieves OutputFreq. Since the upgrade, I can not get the VFD to change CommandSpeed. The PLC tag changes state, but the VFD stays locked in at 30 HZ. The PLC does get the OutputFreq from the VFD saying its running 30 Hz, so that half of the comms appears to be working.

We have several other VFDs connected to the same PLC operating the same way, and I've went through the settings on those to verify that my HIM backup reloaded correctly. Everything seems to be set correctly, but obviously I'm missing something...Any ideas?

Also, I should mention the VFD is fully operational currently the operator just needs to change speeds on the VFD in the electric room instead of on his HMI. I just set P90 [Speed Ref A Sel]to Preset Speed 1 (instead of DPI port 5) Then he changes P101 [Preset 1 Speed].

In the process tree does it show a yellow triangle on the icon for this VFD? (Assuming you have it added to the process tree) If so there should be some information in the bottom left hand corner if you click on that icon.

Also in the Module definition for the PF 700H you should have the Use Network reference checked, and the electronic keying could be a problem since you updated the revision of the VFD. If this is set to exact match you will have issues, change it to compatible keying or change the version to the one you updated it to. The only issue with this is you would have to make changes offline and download the program back to the controller after you have fixed it.

The electronic keying is where I would start.

^....In addition to the keying, incorrect Data Links will also prevent comms. If the project has one set of Data Links, but the drive doesn't have the corresponding set up, you'll get the yellow triangle also.