How Do I Edit PanelView Plus (1000) File?

Colt Hero

How Do I Edit PanelView Plus (1000) File?

Feel stupid asking such a basic question, but they asked me to make a change to this PanelView Plus app here at work (I'm not the "PLC guy' here), and I don't know *how* to open the darn thing. *It was hard enough just trying to *find* the app.

I've got two files. *One is type "FT View Archive File" and the other is "RSView ME Station File". *I tried starting up "FactoryTalk View ME Station" and it brought up a simple panel with *"Load Application" and "Terminal Settings" buttons active, but all that seems to do is RUN the panel. *Can't seem to edit it that way. *

I also see "FactoryTalk View Studio", but when I start *that* up, it asks me to choose an application type to configure (something new?).

There's also something here called "Application Manager" which pops up a dialog with (4) radio buttons for Machine Edition or (3) Site Editions (Local, Network, or Network Distributed). *If I select "Machine Edition" and click "Next", there's a button to "Restore Application". *Is that what I want to do (to restore the Archive File)????

Why is everything about Rockwell so convoluted and confusing? *

I do not think you should be modifying any program with your experience level, it is very dangerous.
There is much more involved than trying to figure out how to open it and moving things around.

Please, for safety sake, let some one who knows what they are doing modify it, some one can get hurt.

bright676:

I'm the sole DCS developer here, but I haven't done a PLC app in probably 10 years. Just need to know how to get *into* these darn Rockwell apps. Such a pain in the a## with all the different variants, development suites, installation issues, license issues, firmware issues, on and on. If it were up to me the DCS would handle everything except the most remote implementations.

Panelview Plus run ViewME.

So you'll be launching View Studio and choosing a Machine Edition application.

The runtime files are the .mer (You'd find this on the panel)
The archive ends in .apa and this is the one you want if possible. Use the View Studio application manager to restore the application archive, then launch Studio for Machine Edition, make your changes and then compile back to runtime.

My opinion stands. I know that if you went to a class to learn how to open these things, it would be the 3rd or 4th item they teach you.

Let your "PLC guy" deal with it, its what he paid for any way.