iFix/Allen Bradley Systems

ballack

Hello, I'm stabbing in the dark a little bit here because I do not have a lot of info but I'll ask away anyhow.

I've got a customer that has a system running on an SLC 5/05 coupled with an iFix HMI. They are requiring an upgrade to a CompactLogix based system but will keep the current HMI. I will be using the SLC to CLX translation tool.

I have never dealt with iFix before and apparently their tech support is non-existant.

My question is, what is the best way to set communications and rebuild the database without having to do it manually?
Also, I don't know what version of the iFix software/drivers they got, but am I going to need to update something?

I know this is a long shot question but thanks anyway.

It will depend on what driver iFix is using. You'll need to change the IO addressing to match the CLGX style, but you can export the database, make the changes, and reimport usually.

I never had much trouble w/ iFix support, but our distributor in the NE was very responsive to questions.

iFix to me is not as user intuitive as some other HMI. Having said that what you need to do isn't all that difficult. Even if you don't have the development key there's 2 hour demo period that you can work with.

To work with the database, you can use the databasemanager.exe to export the tags out to csv file, make the change (find/replace) with Excel then import them back.

Can you tell what kind of driver they are using for the HMI? It's usually IGS (rebranded Kepware).

I'm not really sure what driver are they using, I am expecting to acquire this information next week.

Which is the "to go" driver for iFix/CLX systems? In the end I think it might be easier just to do as you say, export the csv, do a search and replace and reload the database. Although I might need to upgrade the driver to something that talks to a logix based processor.

Which is the "to go" driver for iFix/CLX systems? In the end I think it might be easier just to do as you say, export the csv, do a search and replace and reload the database. Although I might need to upgrade the driver to something that talks to a logix based processor.

It is a rebranded version of Kepware called IGS, "Industrial Gateway System (or Solution? Server?)" and it works fine. GE had their own driver for older AB PLCs that will not work with native CLX tags (but *might* work with mapped tags. No promises.).

I can't recall the name of the driver we had in one install, but it basically talked straight to RsLinx and let that handle the comms.

I can't recall the name of the driver we had in one install, but it basically talked straight to RsLinx and let that handle the comms.

That's the old ABR driver and as far as I know, it doesn't support the CLX platform. If RSLinx Pro or Gateway is installed and licensed you can try configuring OPC within it and connecting that way though iFix but I've never done it.