Help Understanding Device net

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,

It's been a long time. I'm no longer the automation tech at the port alice pulp mill due to closure because of market conditions and reliability of the old mill. I'm now on my own and started my own company for electrical contracting and automation solutions. A local fish processing plant has called me for help on several itemns including their waste water treatment plant which
Is all automated with allan Bradley RSLogix 5000 PLC's and RSView HMI. Being used to RSLogix 5 and 500 and wonderware HMI you can imagine my struggles.

But what I've been trying figure out is the device net system and how it
Works. I realize it's a contactor overload system with PLC inputs and outputs. What I'm trying to Figure out without aimlessly reading a 300 page manual is a general breakdown on how these devices work with wiring diagrams and terminal designations. They seem to exclusively use AB-E3 plus device net overloads. Can anyone provide me with information or a link to a manageable breakdown on these devices? I'm basically looking to better understand them for troubleshooting purposes as their maintenance electrician hasn't had experience either with them and it's a constant issue for them.

I'm going to take a RSLogix 5000 and RSView course with automationtraining.ca as I found them quite excellent for my PLC 5 training.

Thanks in advance for you're help,

Tex

I just did an entire plant using the E1 and E3 plus OL's. The E1 was the Ethernet version, not DN, but the logic would be the same. The E3s are DN only and we used a little converter that changes TCPIP to DN. The E3 supplies two outputs instead of one, so use them for Fwd/Rev applications. The E1's for non-reversing. Ours were wired from the AB Centerline division as part of MCC buckets, but in general, the Output on the E1/E3 is a relay, so it was used to interrupt the general hardwired circuit for a motor starter. The two Inputs were wired to the Overload and the Auxiliary of the M contactor.

From a PLC control standpoint, once you map the I/O registers in DN, you would be able to turn on the output(s) and read the input(s). You can also read the amps as a percentage of FLA setting of the OL Dial or raw amps. There are tons of alarms/trip notifications like OL, Jam, PhaseLoss, etc. You can reset the OL also from the PLC as one of the control bits.

For Logix5000, you will need to download the AOP for the E1 and E3. There may even be facelplates available, but more than likely for SE/ME, not RSView32. I just built my own in wonderware.

Thanks for the reply, By DN I'm assuming you mean device network? Is there a easy to comprehend wiring diagram with terminal designations for the E3 anywhere. I found the one in the 300 page manual a bit poor and hard to understand.

Thanks for the help

Tex

Pm your email and I can send you a pdf drawing of how AB wired theirs in a centerline mcc starter bucket.