Motor rating

Jethro Baidoo

Hi All,
Please i need to install a motor to drive a max load of 500kg on a roller conveyor @ 80% rated speed continuous run for 90mins.
Help me to size the motor please.

Jethro Baidoo,

You have not given us enough details.
load - 500kg - ok
what is the conveyor rated speed?
what is the size of the product?
what is the product sitting on?
Just 1 box of 500KG for 90 minutes on a conveyor ??
for example. 30fpm x .8 = 24 fpm x 90 min = 2,160 ft
no one will build you a conveyor that long using just 1 motor.

lots of unknown variables here.

regards,
james

James Mcquade

I want to transport 50kg bags of sugar from one end to the other. The bags will be transported on pallets. For safe operation, I only want a maximum of 10 bags at a time. Length of conveyor is about 20m.

Jethro Baidoo,

ok, this is what I understand so far.
conveyor length 20 meters - approx. 66 ft
product - 10 kg bag of sugar on a pallet.
you only want 10 bags per conveyor section of 500 kg total plus the pallet weight.
since the weight of the product is 10 kg and add another 20 for the pallet, the conveyor should be readily available.
convey product on the conveyor for 90 minutes.

several questions for you.
What is the desired conveyor speed?
10 ft/minute, 30, 60 100??
what type of conveyor is it? chain driven, belt driven, accumulation?
what is the spacing of the rollers?
what is the size of the rollers?
what is the motor voltage?
Now that you have told me the product is sugar. what is the plant classification?
I am also assuming the motors will be TEFC - totally enclosed fan cooled and in a wash down environment.
how far will the motor be from the control panel(s)?
What is the range of ambient temperature the motors will operate at?

Lots of questions I know, but this is the information I had to have in order to spec conveyors for my customers.

james

You may want to ask the mechanical engineer who designed the conveyor system, they have been trained in the proper formulae to calculate this. :geek:

500Kw (670hp) with a drive to suit and then just dumb down the drive

Just kidding, it's Saturday and just getting the weeks work of my mind.

Or am I? I am on PLCS,NET.............

Six days to go before annual shutdown. Can't wait. New job and for the first time in my working career (many many years) I am going to be off for three weeks.

Brian
🍻

You need to speak to the conveyor designer. It will probably take more power to drive the rollers via the gearbox and drivetrain than to drive the load.