Honeywell 9100e PLC Keep or Replace?

Working on a very old part of site with loads of redundant equipment. Looking more and more likely that I might have to rework the PLC and HMI but the whole system is a mess. I'm familiar with Allen Bradley and the new part of site has an Allen Bradley system. Be nice to keep it the same however theres next to no budget to spend on the old site.

Is it worth keeping the Honeywell plc? How easy are they to program compared to Allen Bradley? I dont see the point replacing equipment that still works but is it more worth than its worth?

Thoughts?

Cheers

IMG_20161210_144121.jpg

It was known as the S9000 system.

Honeywell issued a price list with S9000 components as recently as August 2015.

Whether any thing on that list is still available is probably a **** shoot, given availability of their non-obsolete, current production products.

If you don't do anything to this PLC, work out how long it would take to replace this component if it failed, assuming you cannot buy like for like parts.

You would have to work out what all the I/O is and how it is supposed to work, design the hardware, then program, test etc.

That length of time is the cost of component failure.

Then work out the cost to upgrade.

From there you can make decisions on the benefit of reduced risk, compared to other maintenance activities on site.

I believe the only programming software is DOS based (IPC 620). Even in the Honeywell S9000 system, which ran in windows....it opened a DOS box for logic programming of the HW LCS620 PLC from York, PA. That PLC should be hooked up to an PC / HMI somewhere......follow the coax.

Last edited: