Net dni

QvixoteRoux

Hi everyone

I have a couple of 1761-NET-DNI stored in my drawer, I was planning on using them for trainning purposes but I have found that I haven’t used any devicenet from AB. So after a quick research, it seems that the only way of configuring it is trough devicenet interface with PC, but such interfaces are quite expensive just for a couple of lessons.
Is there any interface or utility that uses the DF1 port?

Thanks in advance

I thought the 1761-NET-DNI was a DF1 to DeviceNet protocol conversion interface? You should be able to connect and configure the device via DF1, but without a DeviceNet network to which to connect it on the other end, I don't know what you'd do with it after you have it configured.

There is a configuration utility for the 1761-NET-DNI that can connect over the RS-232 serial port. You can download it from the RA Knowledgebase, as Article 61587. (Access Level: Everyone).

In general you need to have a PLC with a DeviceNet scanner to do anything useful with the Net-DNI, which will require some other interface to the DeviceNet network.

The Net-DNI is *not* a general purpose RS-232 to DeviceNet interface that allows you to access network device parameters or configure scanlists. That role is done by the old 1770-KFD (serial), the obsolete 1784-PCD (PCMCIA) or the modern 1784-U2DN (USB) interfaces.

One neat thing that the Net-DNI allows you to do is to use DeviceNet as a backbone for a multi-point DF1 network. It works about as fast as DH485 until you get up to 5 devices or so. At that point DH485 starts to slow down, but DeviceNet has plenty of bandwidth to support many more devices.